Chocolate Cream Pie made with decadent semi-sweet chocolate custard and topped with homemade whipped cream and shaved chocolate.
It’s PIE WEEK on Modern Honey! I have been on the quest to discover the ultimate Chocolate Cream Pie. This French Silk Chocolate Pie is made from scratch using the highest-quality ingredients. The pie starts off with a handcrafted chocolate custard made with semi-sweet chocolate, heavy cream, whole milk, egg yolks, cornstarch to thicken, and a touch of butter. The custard is thick enough to hold up yet the texture is creamy, silky, and smooth.
To make a perfect chocolate pie has taken some trial and error. I have made my fair share of chocolate pies in the process! I heard about a rich chocolate pie recipe made with a hefty dose of butter, chocolate, and cream and couldn’t wait to try it. It was definitely rich and the chocolate flavor was on the point but it had too much butter which created a chalky texture when chilled. So, I kept persevering on and discovered that a homemade chocolate custard was the answer.
How to make the perfect Chocolate Cream Pie:
It starts with using high-quality chocolate. I reach for Guittard, Ghirardelli, Trader Joe’s, or Callebaut. You can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate or if you like a sweeter chocolate, use milk chocolate.
Chocolate custard is made with sugar, egg yolks, heavy cream, milk, chocolate, cocoa, cornstarch, and a touch of butter to make it silky smooth. Use a whisk to stir custard while it cooks and thickens. Let the cornstarch do its job.
Let it chill. The chocolate custard needs time to set-up and solidify. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Place the chilled chocolate custard into baked pie shell when ready to serve. This allows the pie crust to remain flaky on the bottom. Cover with homemade whipped cream just before serving. Sprinkle with shaved chocolate (I use Trader Joe’s Pound Plus Bar).
Click the links below for more pie recipes:
Lemon Sour Cream Pie
Caramel Apple Pie
White Chocolate Macadamia Chocolate Ganache Pie
Double Chocolate Marble Pie
The BEST Pumpkin Pie
Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
Sweet Cherry Pie
Traditional Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Caramel Banana Cream Pie
- Chocolate Custard Filling:
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1½ cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate (may use milk chocolate if you want a sweeter pie)
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar
- Pre-Baked Pie Crust: -- All-Butter Pie Crust Recipe
- Shaved Chocolate Bar
- Place the chopped chocolate, butter, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt.
- Whisk in ½ cup of cold heavy cream until the mixture is smooth. Repeat with another ½ cup of the cream. Whisk in the egg yolks.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the whole milk.
- Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Let boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the mixture over the chocolate and butter.
- Whisk until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is silky smooth.
- Place plastic wrap on surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming, and chill for 3-4 hours.
- Make pie crust and pre-bake according to directions here -- All-Butter Pie Crust Recipe. Let cool. Once cooled and chocolate custard has completely chilled and set-up, spread chocolate filling into pie crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Fold in powdered sugar and continue to beat until peaks form. Spread or pipe over chocolate custard.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate bar.
Happy Baking, my friends! Find all of Modern Honey’s Thankgiving recipes on www.modernhoney.com/thanksgiving.