I may live in the middle of the desert in always sunny Arizona but believe it or not, it does get cold here and a big bowl of comforting soup can really warm us up. The beauty of this Mama Mia Spicy Meatball Soup is that it’s not only healthy but actually tastes incredible. You don’t need pasta to enjoy a flavorful, spicy bowl of meatballs.
This soup if full of lean protein because we are using ground turkey, yet it’s still packed with flavor because we are adding some spice. Eating healthy can be difficult if it’s bland food but making it flavorful keeps you coming back for more.
I test every single recipe on my family of six. They are super honest (ask them about my pumpkin soup debacle someday) and they don’t pull any punches….especially my husband! So, when I find something that is healthy that that they love and even beg for seconds….then we have success in the kitchen!
I’ve been making this soup for years, but saw a different version of it on the Biggest Loser (thank you Roco) and have changed it up over the years to make it one of our favorite soups in our home. Plus it’s quick and easy without a huge list of ingredients so that’s a win-win, right? You gotta love simple.
When you are making your own homemade meatballs, you usually need bread crumbs and egg to make them stay together but say goodbye to fillers in this soup! The turkey is seasoned up with only red chili flakes and garlic so it’s just pure healthy protein. The base of the soup is marinara sauce + chicken broth. This is what makes it so easy – you just pick up a jar of your marinara sauce and add some broth and the base of the soup is done. You add a can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), fresh chopped spinach (because we are upping the health factor), and top with grated sharp + salty pecornio romano cheese and fresh torn basil leaves.
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey Breast (93% lean) or Ground Beef
- 2 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 cups Marinara Sauce
- 1-2 cups Spinach, finely chopped
- 1 - 15 ounce can, Chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- Red Chili Flakes (to taste)
- 6 ounces Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated (or Parmesan)
- Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- In medium bowl, season ground turkey with red pepper flakes, garlic salt, and pepper and stir to combine (using your hands is the easiest way). Roll turkey into ½ inch meatballs.
- Spray large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add meatballs and cook for 8-12 minutes, covered, turning often until no longer pink.
- Heat large pot over medium heat. Add chicken broth, marinara sauce, spinach, chickpeas, garlic salt, and red chili flakes. Let it come to a light simmer and cover for 10-12 minutes. Add meatballs and cook an additional 5-10 minutes. Before serving, taste your soup for seasonings. You may need to add more salt, pepper, and red chili flakes to your personal preference.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Happy “Soup for You!”