This Color Me Pretty Salad is my go-to salad when the night before I have slowly, one piece a a time, managed to cut and eat way too many brownies out of the pan. When you master this method of eating, you really have no idea how much you haven eaten until you look at the pan and think someone else must have eaten some brownies! Right? Oops.
So this is the redemption salad for the next day helping to make your body happy + healthy again…plus with all of the different flavors going on, it tastes amazing. No bland or boring salad here!
For starters, it’s loaded with the good stuff – everything from crisp clean vegetables to creamy avocado to tangy feta cheese. The beautiful thing about this salad is the array of vitamins and minerals found in the colorful veggies. It’s a well-rounded meal by itself but can be elevated to the next level by adding some grilled chicken.
The base of this salad is romaine hearts. They are my absolute favorite. You can pick these up at any grocery store They usually come in a pack of 3 at grocery store or a pack of 5 at Costco. You can use almost every piece of this kind of lettuce – just grab a knife and start chopping, making sure to chop it into very small bite-size pieces. No huge piece of lettuce, people. 🙂
Be sure to grab a bag of those sweet mini peppers from the store – they give a beautiful variety of red, orange, and yellow colors to diversify your salad. Plus they are fantastic dipped in ranch as an easy snack!
Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) up the fiber factor and make this salad even more substantial. Of course, avocado just makes everything better and is a super healthy fat. It got a bad wrap years ago, but not all fats are created equal and this one is chock full of vitamins.
For my picky people out there, this salad is completely customizable just for you. If you don’t adore feta cheese, use a mild cheese such as fresh mozzarella instead. If you don’t love red peppers….then goodbye peppers.
This is all tossed together with a simple Greek dressing using olive oil, red wine vinegar and herbs + spices. If you don’t have red wine vinegar, you can substitute another vinegar or use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- 2 Romaine Hearts, chopped
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes (red or yellow)
- 1 Cucumber, sliced
- ½ - ¾ cup Feta Cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup Red Onion, sliced
- ½ - 1 cup Red, Orange, Yellow Peppers, diced
- ½ cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 cup Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
- Greek Dressing:
- ½ cup Olive Oil (or neutral tasting oil such as canola)
- 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic (or ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ teaspoon Dried Basil (or fresh basil leaves)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice (optional)
- Optional: Add Grilled Chicken
- Layer romaine lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, feta, red onion, peppers, carrots, and chickpeas.
- In small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and optional fresh lemon juice.
- Toss on salad and serve immediately.
My kids devour this salad and with all the flavors going on, they somehow forget they are eating a garden full of healthy vegetables….which always makes Mom happy.
Happy Healthy Eating!