Chinese Orange Chicken made with crispy fried chicken covered in an authentic orange sauce. The ultimate Chinese Orange Chicken Recipe which is way better than take-out.
My kids are always begging me to take them to grab Chinese food. They are obsessed with orange chicken but I am never really sure what's in it....especially if they get it from a drive-thru. I wanted to create a version at home, made from scratch, with all-natural ingredients. It still has the same incredible flavor they love. It's definitely a win-win in our home.
It is wintertime in Arizona which means that the citrus is ripe for the picking. I am surrounded by neighbors who have a plethora of fresh oranges and lemons hanging from their trees. This is the perfect time of year to whip up orange and lemon dishes especially this Chinese Orange Chicken.
This Chinese Orange Chicken is made with boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces, dredged, and then fried until golden and crispy. The orange sauce is divine! It is a sweet orange sauce made with orange juice, vinegar, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, red chili flakes, and orange zest. It is both sweet and spicy and full of flavor.
How to make Chinese Orange Chicken at home:
- Start with boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs. Cut into bite-size pieces. Dredge the chicken in whisked eggs and cornstarch/flour mixture until nice and coated. Get these chicken pieces ready for the oil.
- To make your homemade orange sauce, place orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and red chili flakes in a small pot and cook over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch and water and cook until thickened. Stir in orange zest.
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. When frying foods, it is so helpful to use a thermometer. Let the oil heat up to 350 degrees. Once the oil is ready, in batches, cook chicken for about 2 minutes until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Remove from oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Toss fried chicken with the sweet orange sauce. Top with grated orange zest and green onions. Serve immediately.
This Orange Chicken is going to make you forget take-out. Let me know how it turns out by reaching out on instagram at @modern_honey. Have a great night, my friends!
Can I use shrimp instead of chicken for this recipe
Can I use an air-fryer for this recipe instead of frying? If so, what suggestion of temperature and time? I know that this varies by air fryer.
Absolutely fabulous. I used fresh Cara-Cara oranges for the zest and juice and the taste was amazing. This is a keeper.
Just tried this recipe and my (very picky, autistic) taste-tester found it "AMAZING!!". And so did I. This is, absolutely, going to be one of the kids' favorite dish at our house now. THANK YOU! LOVING IT!!
This was delicious! My husband I recently moved out to the country and we can’t get Chinese food! Been craving orange chicken and today I made it. Hubby raved about it. I made fried rice with sautéed onions and broccoli to go with. Great recipe, great meal!!
It was great! It tasted very authentic!
Just made this! I used coconut oil to cook the chicken in. It was SO GOOD. I also did fresh squeezed juice from two oranges. Very easy recipe to follow and turned out amazing! I did have to fry the chicken in the oil for a bit longer than 2-3 mins- mine was more like 6 mins but just make sure it’s cooked before you take it out!
Tried making this first time tonight. It turned out amazing!!! So much better than I expected, wow! Will be making this regularly!
The only thing is I used Red pepper flakes as didn't have chili flakes and it still truned out delicious, a bit hot but wow awesome!
Red pepper flakes and chili flakes are the same thing. 🙂