This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Can we count the many ways we love the slow cooker (aka Crock Pot)? The love for it even gets multiplied when you put Mexican Food in it.
Anyone else feel a deep craving for Mexican food on the daily? These Beef Barbacoa Tacos with Pepper Jack Queso is the perfect meal to whip up in the morning, forget about, and come home to the incredible smells of Mexican spices. The key is to coat the beef roast with fresh lime juice, chipotle peppers and Mexican spices to bring out the flavor. You cook low and slow so the beef is so tender and the shining star has to be the Pepper Jack Queso, which finishes it off with creamy goodness.
When we lived in Texas… tacos were a big deal there. We would drive the 85 miles to the food mecca, Austin Texas, to love on their taco creations. They are known for their food trucks and creative chefs and their tacos were something worth driving for. It was there, I discovered the power of queso drizzled on top of tacos. Since, I am now 1,000 miles away from those crave-worthy tacos, I needed to recreate those babies at home.
Clearly, when is drizzling queso ever a bad thing? This queso isn’t your typical processed stuff that you find in stores. My husband still loves to buy the bright neon orange stuff that doesn’t resemble any type of real cheese. Much to my dismay, he also loves to sneak in the pantry his favorite foods from college – Top Ramen, Mac n Cheese, and Chef Boyardee. Say goodbye to the orange stuff, my dear husband.
This pepper jack queso is super simple using only fresh butter, garlic, spicy jalapenos, creamy milk, and soft Monterey Jack Cheese and it’s the perfect companion to the tender barbacoa beef.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Beef Barbacoa Tacos with Pepper Jack Queso
- 2 lbs. approx Boneless Beef Roast
- Salt + Pepper
- 2-4 Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Chile Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 12 ounce can Beef Broth
- 1 pkg. Corn Tortillas
Pepper Jack Queso:
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers finely diced and deseeded, if you want it mild
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced or 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Flour
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 4 1/2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- Fresh Avocado
- Pickled Jalapenos
- White Onion
- Fresh Lime
- Generously season beef roast with salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker.
- In small bowl, mix together chipotle peppers, lime juice, cumin, chile powder, and garlic powder. Spread all over both sides of beef roast and pat. Pour beef broth around roast avoiding top so the spices stay put.
- Cook for 8-10 hours on low setting. Shred with two forks. Return to slow cooker and let it soak up the juices until ready to serve.
- Pepper Jack Queso:
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet or saucepan over medium-low heat. Add jalapenos and cook for about 4-5 minutes until peppers start to become tender. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Whisk the flour into the butter and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk, whisking constantly until sauce is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, and add cheese slowly, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring into the sauce until completely melted. Repeat until all cheese is added.
- Serve queso right away. If it sets up too much, place back on stovetop and add a dash of milk or butter and stir.
- To assemble tacos:
- Place shredded Barbacoa Beef into corn tortilla. Drizzle pepper jack queso over beef. Top with sliced, fresh avocado, cilantro, lime, white onion, and pickled jalapenos (optional).
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Make good use of this saving grace of the kitchen – the crock pot! This simple but flavorful meal that your family will sure to love.