Homemade moist yellow cake layered with fluffy cream cheese whipped cream frosting and fresh berries. This is the best Chantilly Cake recipe!
Once July hits Arizona, it is a mass exodus out of town. You will see your neighbors on the beach in California because no one wants to hang out in 116-degree weather. We end up on vacation every single year on my daughter's birthday which means she rarely gets a homemade cake.
I believe EVERYONE needs to blow out a candle on their birthday. It's as if a birthday isn't complete without a poorly sung rendition of "Happy Birthday," a few lit candles, and a birthday wish. It's just tradition.
So every year we have to buy a birthday cake for her on the road. We discovered her most beloved cake of all time at Whole Foods. It's their famous Whole Foods Berry Chantilly Cake and you better believe I have asked the bakery chefs in California, Texas, and even Arizona how they make it.
After some research, a lot of questions, and studying the label, I went to work in the kitchen to create the Berry Chantilly Cream Cake. This is a simplified version of what they make at Whole Foods. It's now the cake that BOTH of my girls request for their birthdays but I can make it at home!
Berry Chantilly Cake
So what makes this Berry Chantilly Cream Cake so special?
Let's start with the cake. It's the base of the cake so it has to be GOOD. I spent weeks testing out yellow cake recipes and came up with this gem -- Yellow Birthday Cake which takes on some creative methods. It's such a soft, tender, fluffy, and moist cake.
The Chantilly Whipped Cream Frosting is when it gets REAL. This isn't some overly sweet, stick-to-your-mouth kind of frosting. This Chantilly Frosting is light, and fluffy with the perfect amount of sweetness.
It's a chantilly whipped cream frosting using heavy cream, which is whipped into soft peaks and folded into a sweetened cream cheese or mascarpone cheese and pure vanilla. It is HEAVENLY! My kids fight over who is going to lick the bowl.
When I asked the bakers at Whole Foods the ingredients in their famous chantilly cake frosting, they did tell me they used fresh whipped cream and mascarpone cheese. I have made this cake with both cream cheese and mascarpone cheese, and if you want to truly elevate your chantilly cream cake, I suggest using mascarpone cheese.
Warning: you can eat A LOT of this frosting without even batting an eye.
The cake layers are covered with a thin layer of raspberry jam which not only gives it a sweet fruity flavor but gives moisture to the layers. The cake is covered with the chantilly cream and fresh berries. Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, and Blueberries line the layers. Then the Berry Chantilly Cream Cake is topped with all the fresh fruit.
This is one of my most requested cake recipes. You are going to love the moist yellow cake, the fresh fruit jam, the whipped cream mascarpone cheese frosting, and all of the fresh berries. It is absolutely heavenly!
A FEW TIPS TO MAKE THE PERFECT BERRY CHANTILLY CREAM CAKE:
- Don't overbake your cake. Keep a close eye on the layers. If you are baking two layers, then you will need to cook the cakes longer as they are thicker. If you are baking three layers, you will need to cook the layers for less time. Keep a cake tester or toothpick close by and check the middle of the cakes.
- When making the chantilly cream frosting, cream the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a separate bowl. It is important to cream it long enough that it becomes silky smooth -- about 4-5 minutes. After it is creamed, it can be gently folded in with the whipped cream.
- Use heavy cream and whip until it forms firm peaks. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla until incorporated.
- This frosting can benefit from being chilled for about 15 minutes before frosting the cake.
- Always do a light "crumb coat" of frosting on the cake which means to do a light layer of frosting to cover the crumbs and then add the majority of frosting. I am a huge fan of an offset spatula. They don't cost very much but makes it so much easier to frost a cake. Here is one of my favorites -- Wilton Angled Icing Spatula.
I can't wait to hear what you think of this Berry Chantilly Cream Cake! PIN this image below and share with friends. Have a wonderful day and happy baking! xo
A huge hit. Wouldn't change a thing.
Another outstanding recipe! We (my daughter & I) are making this cake for the second time today. One of the best cake frostings we've ever made. This cake got rave reviews from our family and friends. The cake texture is outstanding and the frosting is the lightest, dreamiest consistency ever. Adding the fruit and jam gives the cake that additional WOW factor. Amazing as ever. Thank you for all you do!
I made this cake following your recipe. Everyone loved it. I had mixed feelings as the cake and the frosting was too sweet for my palate and it was hard to eat more than a few bites at a time. I might reduce the sugar in both the cake and the frosting and it will be perfect for me. Thank you for the delicious recipe.