Soft chewy lemon sugar cookies are always a hit! A light lemon cookie that will be a crowd favorite.
Lemon Sugar Cookies
I may be a chocoholic but these cookies got me from the first bite. Actually, I lie. It was from the first bite of cookie dough because after one taste, I was hooked! Since my Mom loves all things lemon, I decided I had to break free from my chocolate love affair and make something that she would love - a sweet, soft lemon sugar cookie.
She was smitten with the first taste! This cookie is bursting with fresh lemon flavor without being too tart and if you could imagine a marriage between a soft sugar cookie and a tangy lemon, you will get this delectable lemon sugar cookie.
This is a soft, chewy lemon cookie with a light lemon flavor. It is a simple, crowd-pleasing recipe that everyone loves! Add more lemon zest for extra lemon flavor.
Key Steps for making the BEST Lemon sugar cookies:
- Cream butter and sugar for four minutes or until light and fluffy. This breaks down the sugar so you don't end up with grainy cookies. It also whips in the air, which not only helps to give the cookie body but keeps it from going completely flat once it hits the hot oven.
- Use fresh lemon juice. The fake stuff you find in the grocery store just tastes fake. Fresh lemon transforms so many dishes and since it's the star ingredient in this cookie, fresh is best.
- Use a zester to get the vibrant yellow skin from the lemon and leave the bitter white part behind. We want the good stuff! Click HERE to buy a zester for about $10 bucks.
- These cookies are best soft so don't overbake. An outstanding cookie can become mediocre just from overbaking. I always use non-stick silicone baking sheets. These silicone baking sheets are some of my favorites because they work well and are reasonably priced.
- Top with sparkling sugar just as you are removing the cookies from the oven.
Thank as always for all of your incredible support. xo Happy Baking!
PIN this image on PINTEREST:
These are so easy and tasty. Lately, I make these substituting lime for the lemon and adding white chocolate chips, and they are a hit. Delicious both ways.
This were a big favorite before the cookies were even baked! I ended up adding more lemon juice and zest (about a half a decent sized lemon worth) and they were a perfect balance of lemon and sugar cookie. The first batch ended up looking like biscuits since they didn’t flatten out but the second one did once I smooshed them down with a glass before baking. These are defiling a keeper in my recipe book. 🥰
Bit hit with my husband and the neighbors! I added 1 tbsp. King Arthur's lemon juice powder per cup of flour (3 tbsp.) for an extra lemony flavor. This one's a keeper - will definitely do it again! In fact, think I'll share it on my website @nursingoffthechart.com
I am so happy to hear it Jennifer! I especially love the adjustments that you did to bring out the lemon flavor. Thanks for trying out my recipe!
It's lemon season in Arizona....I can't make enough of these for my neighbors...they love them. Thanks for all the lemon recipes MH