Toasted Coconut Macadamia Pancakes with Coconut Syrup are sweet tropical pancakes topped with a creamy coconut syrup and crunchy macadamia nuts.
Light and fluffy buttermilk pancakes studded with toasted coconut and topped with macadamia nuts, bananas, and a drizzle of homemade sweet coconut syrup. You will feel like you are sitting on a tropical island eating these pancakes!
It’s been quite the week in our home! We decided to take a last minute trip to California since my kids and husband can’t go too long without going to the beach. I may have expressed this before but all four of my children and husband are completely fearless. Nothing scares them! I blame every single gray hair on the top of my head on these types of activities. Haha! I love their adventurous sides because it makes life so much fun but my mama worry radar goes on high alert in those situations.
My little 9 year old girl has been fearless since the day she was born. We used to call her monkey because she could climb out of and over everything. She has loved boogie boarding since she was in diapers!
Well those big waves finally caught up to her on Monday and she came out crying and holding her arm which is never a good sign. The lifeguards came and checked her out and told us we needed a x-ray. She got to ride in the big lifeguard truck even though it wasn’t what she quite imagined it to be. We drove to urgent care, covered in sand and received word that she received a supracondylar fracture, which is something I am very familiar with. Both of my boys have had surgery on their arms so when I heard this type of fracture, I went into mama panic mode. The radiologist report didn’t look good and after reading the report, our orthopedic surgeon back home was worried that she would have to get surgery in California that night. We had already checked out of our hotel and were still covered in sand so the thought of my sweet little girl going into surgery in California made my heart sink.
Thankfully, after studying the x-rays, we were given the go ahead to head home. Hallelujah! It looks like she may just have a cast for a few weeks which after witnessing a few broken arm surgeries, sounds like a piece of cake! It’s been an eventful one to say the least.
Let’s get back to pancakes! Oh my word. These Toasted Coconut Macadamia Pancakes with Coconut Syrup remind me of sitting on a Caribbean island eating breakfast and overlooking the ocean. These pancakes are light and fluffy studded with toasted coconut, which really brings out the coconut flavor. The homemade coconut syrup takes these pancakes to a whole another level and is so easy to make. Add some fresh sliced bananas and macadamia nuts and you are eating tropical pancakes.
The key to these Toasted Coconut Macadamia Pancakes with Coconut Syrup is to toast the coconut ahead of time and to sprinkle it on while the pancakes are cooking. This allows the coconut to keep its texture.
The homemade coconut syrup is made with only 4 ingredients — canned coconut milk, sugar, a touch of karo syrup, and a pinch of salt. It is such a simple recipe to make but elevates these pancakes to another level. I found one of my kids drinking the syrup! Man alive, our dentist bill is going to be huge! 🙂
- 2 cups Sweetened Flaked Coconut
- 4 cups Flour
- 1½ Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Butter, melted (plus extra for cooking)
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 3 cups Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- ½ cup Macadamia Nuts, chopped
- Sliced Bananas
- Coconut Syrup:
- 1 - 14 ounce Can Coconut Milk (not lite)
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Light Karo Syrup
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spread coconut on large baking sheet and toast for about 18-20 minutes or until golden. Another option is to place oven to broil setting. Toast coconut over broil for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Watch carefully as it can burn quickly under the broil setting.
- To make pancakes:
- In large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in melted butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Heat large skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Test for readiness by sprinkling some water on pan and if it spatters off the griddle, it's hot enough. Coat with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a ½ cup, pour pancake batter onto pan or skillet. Generously sprinkle with toasted coconut. When bubbles appear on top of pancake, flip to cook the other side. Watch carefully as pancakes can brown quickly. Keep it at a lower heat to ensure that the inside gets cooked through without the outside getting too brown. Serve warm.
- To make coconut syrup: place canned coconut milk, sugar, and karo syrup in medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together and cook for 8-10 minutes or until it starts to simmer. Once it starts to simmer and thicken, remove from heat and serve.
- Top pancakes with sliced bananas, coconut syrup, macadamia nuts, and remaining toasted coconut.
I can’t wait to hear what you think about these Toasted Coconut Macadamia Pancakes with Coconut Syrup! Happy Cooking, my friends! xo