These easy deviled eggs are made with hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, pickle juice, a touch of sugar, a pinch of salt, and pepper, and sprinkled with paprika.
Growing up, an Easter celebration wasn't complete unless there was an abundance of deviled eggs. They were always a huge hit and the first to go! My Grandma taught me how to make super simple deviled eggs. It is all about that creamy center! It needs to be creamy with a touch of tang, sweetness, and a sprinkle of heat. I am going to share just how my Grandma Faye made them.
The best deviled eggs are made with mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, pickle juice, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of paprika. That's it! You can add some pickled jalapenos, some hot sauce, and top with crispy bacon to make them extra gourmet.
First, you need to start out with boiling your eggs. I am going to share with you how to cook hard-boiled eggs. Once you know how long to boil eggs, everything else is easy! Oh wait, then you have to peel the hard boiled eggs. I spoke too soon. 🙂
How long to cook hard boiled eggs:
The key is figuring out how long to boil eggs to get the perfect yolk center. If you undercook the hard boiled eggs, the center will be too runny. If you overcook the hard boiled eggs, the center yolk with be too rubbery and hard. So we want to find the sweet spot where the yolks are perfectly cooked. It is very simple!
How to cook hard boiled eggs:
- Place your eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- As soon as the water begins to boil, cover the saucepan, and remove it from heat.
- Let it sit, covered for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a bowl with ice water to make an ice water bath.
- Transfer the hard boiled eggs with a slotted spoon or strainer to the water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Let sit in the water bath for 3-5 minutes and then peel.
We did some experimenting on how long it takes to boil an egg. We tested cooking eggs at 6 minutes, 8 minutes, 10 minutes, 12 minutes, and 14 minutes.
We found that all had a cooked center but the eggs cooked only for 6 or 8 minutes, had creamier centers. I would suggest a 10 minute cooking time for optimal hard boiled eggs.
I used this Staub 4-Quart White Dutch Oven(under $100) for cooking the eggs but any saucepan will do.
If you want an easier way to cook hard boiled eggs, check out this quick egg cooker -- Rapid Egg Cooker
What ingredients are in Deviled Eggs:
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Mustard (classic or dijon)
- Pickle Juice
- Salt + Pepper
- Sprinkle with Paprika
- Hot Sauce
- Pickle Relish
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Top with Crispy Bacon
How to make Easy Deviled Eggs:
- Start by following the instructions above and hard boiling your eggs. Peel the eggs and slice them in half. Remove the yolk from the center and place it in the bowl.
- Mash the yolks with a fork.
- Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, pickle juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir until creamy. You may want to use a hand mixer to make it extra creamy.
- You can either spoon the creamy yolk mixture into the egg white or pipe it on the egg white by using a star tip and a pastry bag. An easy tip is to cut a corner of a small sandwich Ziploc bag, place the star tip through the hole, fill the bag with the creamy yolk mixture, and pipe it into the egg white shells.
- Sprinkle with paprika and top with crispy bacon, if so desired.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
I hope you love this devilled eggs recipe!