This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Happy Taco Tuesday! Every day should be taco Tuesday. Tacos need the respect to be honored and celebrated every single day, right? We take tacos very seriously in our home and these Grilled Chicken Tacos with Roasted Poblano Crema are legit.
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Roasted Poblano Crema are made with chili lime marinated grilled chicken topped with a roasted poblano cream, fresh sliced avocado, creamy and salty queso fresco cheese all wrapped inside a warm corn tortilla. Layers and layers of Mexican flavors! This is the perfect summer food since you don’t have to heat up your oven. Fire up the grill and you are done!
Let’s start with the chicken. The chili lime marinated chicken begins with chicken breast. It is marinated in freshly squeezed lime juice, oil, chili powder, garlic, salt and a touch of brown sugar. Let it marinate at least 30 minutes but 2-4 hours is ideal. The chicken is so juicy, tender and moist. Yummy!
How do you make roasted poblano crema or cream?
It’s so simple! Take large poblano chilies (a mild yet flavorful chili) and place on the grill. The grill softens the inside and chars the outside which gives it a nice roasted flavor. Once it is grilled, take a fork and remove the outer skins. Place the poblano chili in a blender and mix with sour cream, cilantro, freshly squeezed lime juice, and salt. This creamy sauce adds a mild kick to the tacos.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Grilled Chicken Tacos with Roasted Poblano Crema
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken:
- 1 lb. Chicken Breast
- 2 Limes juiced
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Poblano Peppers
- 1 cup Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- 1/2 cup Cilantro tightly packed
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 6-12 Corn Tortillas
- 2 Avocados
- 8 oz Queso Fresco Cheese
- Red Onion optional
- Place chicken in ziploc bag or place in bowl. Add lime juice, oil, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and brown sugar. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes. 2-4 hours is ideal.
- Once the chicken is marinated, heat grill over medium heat. Cook chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Check to make sure chicken is no longer pink. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- While chicken is cooking, place poblano chilies on the grill. Cook until softened and the skin starts to bubble. Remove from grill and using a fork, remove the outer skin from the poblano.
- Place poblano chilies, sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in blender or food processor. Blend until creamy.
- Top warmed corn tortillas with sliced chicken, sliced avocado, queso fresco cheese, cilantro (optional), and drizzle with roasted poblano crema.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Happy Grilling, my friends!