This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The popular 7-layer bar made into a cookie! A chewy cookie with crisp edges with butterscotch chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, shredded coconut, and pecans. A salty and sweet cookie.
Everyone loves an ooey gooey Magic 7-Layer Bar so I thought why don’t we take all of those ingredients and make the ultimate Magic Bar Cookie? These have the perfect balance of salty and sweetness. The cookie has a soft, chewy center and buttery, crisp edges.
The sweet caramel butterscotch chips paired with semi-sweet chocolate chips is the perfect combination. The pecans or walnuts add some hearty crunch and help to cut the sweetness.
Magic Cookies Ingredients:
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Soda
- Butterscotch Chips
- Sweetened Coconut
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Pecans or Walnuts
How to make Magic 7-Layer Cookies:
- Start by creaming together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar for about 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl often. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Fold in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. The cornstarch adds thickness without adding a cakey texture and it helps the cookies to stay fresher longer.
- Fold in butterscotch chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, shredded coconut flakes, and pecans or walnuts. My favorite brand of butterscotch chips is Guittard.
- Bake on a light colored baking sheet. If you want to make easy clean-up, use parchment paper sheets. Bake just until the edges turn a light golden color. Don’t overbake these cookies.
I hope you love these Butterscotch, Chocolate Chip, Coconut and Pecan Cookies! You can use your favorite type of nut — pecans, walnuts, or almonds in these Magic Cookies.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Magic 7-Layer Cookies
- 1 cup Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt (if using salted butter, reduce to 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 1/2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Butterscotch Chips
- 1 cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix for 1 minute longer.
- Fold in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold in butterscotch chips, chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans or walnuts.
- Use a light-colored baking sheet. Place 2 ounce balls of cookie dough on baking sheet, several inches apart. Press extra butterscotch or chocolate chips on the cookie dough balls before baking in the oven. If you desire, sprinkle the cookie dough balls with Maldon Sea Salt Flakes.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes. Don't overbake.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.