Olive Oil Cake
A homemade olive oil cake with vanilla and almond extracts and topped with a glaze. This vanilla olive oil cake is the perfect simple dessert.
One of my most popular recipes on Modern Honey over the years has been my Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Lemon Frosting recipe. It is incredibly moist and flavorful and the reviews have all been positive.
We recently spent some time in California with my cousin, Michelle. She and her husband, Barry, took us to this restaurant in San Juan Capistrano that served an olive oil cake for dessert. I knew that I needed to replicate this simple olive oil cake at home because it was that good.
This Italian Olive Oil Cake is made with olive oil, sugar, eggs, whole milk, vanilla, almond extract, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. It is so tender with a perfect crumb. If you want to make it extra tender, use cake flour in place of all-purpose flour. The addition of both vanilla and almond extract gives the cake some extra warmth.
After I remove the homemade olive oil cake from the oven, I drizzle on some warmed honey over the top to give it extra shine, moisture, and a touch of sweetness. You can also make a vanilla bean glaze with powdered sugar, milk or water, and vanilla bean.
You can top this cake with all types of fruit from fresh oranges to fresh raspberries to fresh lemon. You can serve it with fresh whipped cream, sweetened orange mascarpone cream, or vanilla bean gelato, or ice cream. The sky is the limit with this dessert because it is so versatile.
A very important tip when making this homemade olive oil cake is to ensure that your oil is completely fresh. It is so integral because if the olive oil isn't completely fresh, it can have a strong flavor that will overwhelm the cake.
How to make the Best Olive Oil Cake:
- Start by using good quality, fresh olive oil. Mix the oil, sugar, and eggs together for 2-3 minutes. Add the whole milk, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. It is imperative to not overmix the flour mixture as it will create a tougher cake. Fold just until combined. If you want an extra tender cake, I suggest using cake flour. You can even use half cake flour and half all-purpose flour.
- Spray a 9-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. If you want to ensure the cake to not stick to the pan, use a parchment paper round on the bottom of the cake pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake just until the center is cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife along the sides of the pan to keep it from sticking. Flip and place on a cooling rack.
- Warm honey in a microwave-safe bowl until completely runny. Pour honey all over the top of the cake, evenly spreading to all of the sides of the cake.
- Serve with fresh fruit, whipped cream, vanilla bean gelato, or sweet orange mascarpone.
Honestly I have never heard of an olive oil cake. But because I love all of your recipes and it looks so beautiful I decided to try it. It is not only easy to make, but it is the best cake I have ever had. So supremely moist!
I loved this cake! So moist, really flavorful and super easy to make. Everyone loved it and was asking for the recipe. Thanks for a great recipe.
This cake is amazing. So moist....it just melts in your mouth!
The easiest and most amazing cake! It is packed with flavor and so moist. I love this cake recipe and will definitely be using it often!!!
Any nutrient information on this cake? Thanks!
This cake is delicious, so moist and really easy to make. I will definitely make this again.
This sounds terrific. I've had Olive Oil cake once at a restaurant and I've never had the opportunity to try again. We made your Vanilla cheesecake last year for Christmas with the vanilla bean paste, and we thought it was even better than Juniors in New York. Merry Christmas from Queen Creek!!
For olive cake, if I use cake flour, do i still use the baking powder and baking soda?
Hi! You still use them as the cake flour just has less gluten in it than all-purpose flour so you still need the leavening agents. I hope that helps! 🙂
Believe it or not, I have eaten a lot of cake in my life time, but I have never had an olive oil cake ever. I hear lots of good things about them but I have never tried one. I love all of your recipes Melissa so I have to try this one too.
I think I would like the lemon one myself. Thank you, Merry Christmas to you and your Family.
Hi Donna! Oh my goodness, you have to try it! It sounds a little crazy but it is such a surprise. I hope you are doing well. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family. Thank you so much for all of your support. You are amazing!