Salted Caramel Bread Pudding is a decadent dessert made with brioche or challah bread, half-n-half, eggs, butter, and brown sugar topped with a silky smooth salted caramel sauce.
Bring on all the salted caramel! There’s something so comforting about a warm bowl of bread pudding. This popular dessert came about many, many years ago when bakers had to figure out what to do with the crusty day-old bread. They decided that soaking the bread in milk and eggs and baking it make a decadent, melt-in-your-mouth pudding-like texture. This Salted Caramel Bread Pudding takes it a step further and is drizzled with a homemade salted caramel sauce. Oh my goodness!
So how do you make this sweet Salted Caramel Bread Pudding?
Start with brioche or challah bread. What is brioche or challah bread? Brioche is a pastry of French origin that is similar to a highly enriched bread, and whose high egg and butter content give it a rich and tender crumb. Challah bread is very similar except it uses oil instead of butter and more eggs. Both types of bread work beautifully in this salted caramel bread pudding. You can even use french bread but you may need a tad more butter and sugar.
Soak brioche or challah bread in half-n-half, eggs, butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. You may substitute whole milk for half-n-half if needed. This is baked until golden brown.
Make an easy salted caramel sauce. This salted caramel sauce uses butter, brown sugar, heavy cream, and sea salt. This is drizzled all over the warm caramel bread pudding when you are ready to serve it. You may even top with freshly whipped cream.
- 8 - 10 cups Brioche or Challah Bread cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 cups Half-n-Half may substitute whole milk
- 5 Eggs slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla
- 12 Tablespoons Butter 3/4 cup, Melted
- 1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 t. Sea Salt Flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put bread pieces in large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half-n-half, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Pour egg-milk all over the bread, tossing it gently. Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, remove from heat and add brown sugar and sugar and whisk until glossy smooth. Pour butter-brown sugar mixture all over bread pudding and toss gently.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45-55 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 - 15 minutes or until the bread pudding is golden brown. Set the pudding aside while you prepare the salted caramel sauce.
- To make the salted caramel sauce:
- Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Stir in heavy cream and sea salt flakes until smooth.
- Pour glaze over caramel bread pudding. Serve warm.
- May top with fresh whipped cream.
I hope you all have a wonderful, relaxing Sunday! Enjoy this heavenly and decadent Salted Caramel Bread Pudding with the family. Happy Baking! xo