This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
It was way back in the day when my husband had just graduated college. We were ecstatic that he was offered a job right out of college to work for a home builder. I was still plugging away taking night classes at college while balancing working full-time. We were crazy busy and working our booties off to save every penny for a down payment on a new home.
My husband’s company surprised their employees with an all-expense trip to San Diego. You would think we were going on a two-week vacation to Europe! We were poor college kids and beyond excited for this free trip! Of course we had to know where the best place on Coronado Island was to get breakfast. We were told by the locals about a charming little breakfast place with flower boxes lining it, they were known for their berry cream cheese stuffed french toast.
This was before Google (aka “my other brain”) so we experienced some sticker shock when looking at the menu. In typical Dean fashion, he said “it’s all good” and we sat down and ate one of the hands down best breakfast dishes we’ve ever eaten. It was well worth the hefty bill.
Ever since that day, I wanted to recreate that lovely breakfast dish.
My husband came home from work to find breakfast for dinner, as we like to call it. I served him up a plate of strawberries and cream stuffed french toast and waited with bated breath for his reaction. He is my ultra honest critic (in the most kind way possible) and I wanted him to be reminded of that memorable dish in that little cafe back in 1998. Thankfully he said he loved it and I could breathe again!
This Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast is what dreams are made of.
Yes, I said it. It’s ridiculously easy to make yet is so impressive. It is made by making a sweetened cream cheese using strawberry jam, fresh strawberries and lemon zest and stuffing it in between two pieces of bread, such as Texas Toast. It is quickly dipped into a rich custard batter and cooked on a sizzling butter griddle until golden brown. The stuffed french toast is topped with powdered sugar, fresh berries, homemade fluffy whipped cream and a touch of real maple syrup. Absolutely heavenly!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast
- 1 Loaf Texas Toast or any thick bread, approximately 8-10 slices
- (1) 8-ounce pkg. Cream Cheese softened
- 1/3 cup Strawberry Jam
- 2/3 cup Strawberries sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Zest
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Butter for pan
- Fresh Berries -- Blueberries Blackberries and Strawberries
- Powdered Sugar
- Real Maple Syrup
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- In a small bowl, beat together cream cheese, jam, and lemon zest. Fold in fresh strawberries. Spoon mixture on piece of bread and top with another piece of bread.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Heat skillet on medium low heat and add 1 Tablespoon of butter per french toast.
- Working in batches, dip each piece of french toast into custard batter. Let each side soak for about 10 seconds. Add the soaked slices to the sizzling butter in the skillet.
- Cook until golden brown -- about 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fresh berries, powdered sugar, whipped cream and real maple syrup.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
PIN on PINTEREST:
Come find me on Instagram at @modern_honey or Facebook. I would love to hear from you. Happy Baking!