My kids leave for school at all hours in the morning so my goal is to make them something quick and healthy! Smoothies are the ultimate way to jam pack as much nutrition as possible into one drink. These 6 Superfood Smoothies are the perfect meal and full of vitamins which will keep them energized and their minds sharp. The key is the smoothies must taste amazing or my kids won’t drink them! I sneak in handfuls of spinach without them even detecting it since it has such a mild flavor yet is such a nutritional powerhouse.
Since smoothies are full of fresh fruits, vegetables, and protein — the options are endless. We mix it up with lots of variety so the smoothies don’t get boring. I am posting our fabulous six superfood smoothies which are filled with superfoods that will start your mornings off right.
MY HEALTHY JOURNEY:
Here is where I am going to get a little personal. I was a healthy and active girl when I got hit with an autoimmune disease that rocked my world. I visited the doctor and he performed an insane amount of blood tests to figure out what was going on with my body.
I was dealing with the debilitating effects of several autoimmune diseases — rheumatoid arthritis and Hashimoto’s thyroiditis diseases, among others.
I didn’t think I would be dealing with arthritis in my 30’s! My weight had even skyrocketed for no apparent reason (which will put any woman in a tailspin).
After many blood tests confirmed I was dealing with several autoimmune issues, I was referred to both a rheumatologist and endocrinologist to deal with the effects of my immune system going haywire. The specialists wanted to put me on a host of medications to help with the swelling and inflammation, all with a list of negative side effects. I felt as if I was ALWAYS at the doctor. I didn’t want to just put on a band-aid.
I went home and my husband and I just sobbed together on the couch (which he may not like me admitting publicly since he is not a crier), afraid of what the future might hold. After a good cry, I felt determined to figure out what the ROOT cause of my health issues were. I started studying like crazy. I began driving around to every library in town, picking up stacks of health books, and researching everything I could about my disease. I became a full-on nerd!
I kept reading over and over about the powerful healing powers of whole foods. After much research, I decided to implement a 30-day healthy food plan. It included only cold-pressed juices, whole food smoothies, vegetables, fresh fruit, fish, and chicken. Nothing else.
Being the baker that I am, it just about killed me! Okay truth be told….in reality, it gave me new life! I supplemented my diet with a whole host of herbs that help with inflammation and autoimmune disorders. I filled my refrigerator with the freshest ingredients and spent hours at a time creating smoothies and filling glass jars with them. I drank everything from raw fermented beet juice to cleanse my liver to lemon turmeric drinks to help calm my inflammation.
Here is a photo that was taken in Texas of a week’s worth of healthy whole foods that I ate to try to heal myself and relieve some of my symptoms. It’s amazing at what happened after going 30 days eating this way!
After several weeks, my swelling drastically improved and I was able to move around with ease. The best part was going to visit the doctor for another round of blood tests and finding out that the most alarming results were reversed! I still had a long way to go but this was a start. I still have to treat my Hashimoto’s thyroiditis disease with Synthyroid but I have found some natural supplements to help me feel better. I am not a doctor but will share some things that have helped me.
Here are some of the healing vitamins, herbs and supplements that have helped me with my autoimmune diseases:
(click on the links to purchase supplement for a discounted Amazon.com or Vitacost.com price)
Vitamin D — immune support and energy
Vitamin B12 — natural energy booster
Magnesium — natural relaxer, calms nerves, good for ADHD.
Vitamin C — immune system booster
Selenium — very helpful if you have a thyroid disorder
Fermented Foods — Kefir, Kimchi, Sauerkraut
Bone Broth — helps with gut issues
There are so many out there dealing with the effects of autoimmune diseases and I would LOVE to hear your story and what has helped you. Please feel free to leave a comment below and share your story. I believe we can all learn from each other. Knowledge is power and when we take our own health into our hands, we can invoke a healthy change.
I LOVE to read, study, and learn from the experts in the industry. I have found several books that are very helpful and will share my favorites. Click on the link below for more information.
If you would like to know specifically what I did to help mine and what I continue to do to stay off medication (besides my thyroid medication for Hashimoto’s disease since my thyroid no longer functions), you can reach out to me at email@example.com.
If you would like to sign up for my newsletter, I will include the specific things that have helped me in my health journey. You can find me on instagram @modern_honey.
Here is a list of the nutritional perks in these Healthy Superfood Smoothies:
- Kale – insanely low in calories, powerful anti-oxidant with anti-inflammatory properties, and helpful for arthritis and autoimmune diseases
- Spinach – the beauty of spinach lies in how easy it is to disguise the taste. It’s mild tasting yet packed with vitamins, has anti-cancerous properties, and is one of the healthiest foods on the planet
- Blueberries – one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fruit which helps to combat free radicals in your body
- Strawberries – just one serving provides more vitamin c than an orange while being low in natural sugars
- Greek Yogurt – double the protein and half the carbs as regular yogurt
- Cucumber – since it’s 95% water, it’s an incredible detoxifier and helps with liver and kidney function
- Lemon – one of the most important items to stock in your kitchen as it’s a highly effective cleansing agent and cuts through the bitterness of greens
- Banana – an essential in smoothies as it adds creaminess, a touch of sweetness, and helps you feel full longer plus, it’s rich in potassium and fiber and gives you natural energy
- Turmeric – anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties
- Ginger – aids in digestion and supports the immune system
- Chia + Flaxseeds – rich is Omega-3 and fiber benefits
After years and years of my mother-in-law telling me that the Vitamix is the greatest appliance ever made, I bit the bullet and bought one. I am so grateful because I use it every single day. Plus, it purees the spinach so much that you can’t taste it at all. It’s seriously amazing! You can buy one here.
For extra detoxification benefits, a lemon turmeric flush first thing in the morning will do the trick. This isn’t for the faint of heart. It’s super simple.
Lemon Turmeric Flush Drink:
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Lemon, squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Stevia or 1 Tablespoon Honey or Real Maple Syrup
- Serves 2
Mix together, water, lemon juice, turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper (optional) and cinnamon. Add stevia, honey or maple syrup to taste. The cayenne pepper adds a kick to it so not everyone can handle it.
If I am suffering from anything – from allergies to autoimmune issues to overeating the night before, this helps to clean out my liver and belly. I woke up this morning with swollen eyes caused by allergies and this drink helped the swelling go down quickly. You can drink it heated up or drink it cold straight out of the refrigerator. We make a large pitcher and keep in the refrigerator to last a week. We give it a good stir and guzzle it down.
- The Babe Ruth Smoothie:
- 1 cup Strawberries
- ½ cup Pineapple
- 1 Banana
- 2 cups Orange Juice
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Spinach (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Chia or Flaxseeds (optional)
- Sweet Cherry Almond Smoothie
- 1½ cups Cherries, frozen
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 scoop Protein Powder
- 1 Banana
- Optional: top with unsweetened coconut flakes + almond butter
- Lovely Greens Smoothie:
- 1 cup Pineapple
- 2 cups Spinach
- ½ cup Grapes
- 1½ cup Orange Juice
- 1 Banana
- Chocolate Powerhouse Smoothie:
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
- ½ cup Blueberries
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 Banana
- 1 Tablespoon Almond Butter
- Youthful Glow Green Smoothie:
- 2 Handfuls (approximately 2 cups) Kale or Power Greens Mix
- 2 Handfuls (approximately 2 cups) Baby Spinach
- 2 cups Pure Apple Juice
- ½ Cucumber
- ½ Lemon, squeezed (for extra benefits, use the juice from an entire lemon)
- 1 Banana
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Ginger, grated
- Peachy Mango Smoothie:
- 1 cup Peaches
- 1 cup Mangoes
- 1 Banana
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Ginger
- Add ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add ice depending on temperature preference.
- Frozen bananas work best in smoothies. Peel, slice in half, and place in a large Ziploc bag in the freezer overnight.
- Add more spinach and kale to increase nutritional benefits.
I would LOVE to hear from you about how you have benefited from drinking smoothies or juices and how you like these 6 Healthy Superfood Smoothies. Share with your friends on Facebook, Pinterest, and Yummly. Thank you, as always, for your support. xoxo
You can also find a recipe for my pitaya dragon fruit smoothie bowl HERE.