Chocolate Chip S'mores Cookies
Warm milk chocolate chip cookies with creamy marshmallow fluff and graham cracker. The most perfect s'mores and chocolate chip cookie in one!
It's 4th of July week here on Modern Honey and I am starting it out by sharing one of our all-time favorite cookies -- the Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Fluff Smore Cookie. When we go on vacation, we are always gathering all of the items to make s'mores by a campfire. Since I am a chocolate chip cookie freak...I thought why not combine all the good things into one?
This cookie is heaven-sent. It has creamy milk chocolate, ooey-gooey marshmallow, and crunchy graham crackers in the most perfect chocolate chip cookie. Forget the smores! Bring on the chocolate chip smores cookie.
I did a lot of recipe testing to get this just right. I started out with my classic chocolate chip cookie dough. I topped the cookies with sliced large marshmallows and baked them. They were good but the marshmallows got a little too toasty and hardened up when they cooled. Back to the drawing board!
Now it was time to bring in the marshmallow fluff. Since it was a creamier version of a marshmallow, I thought it wouldn't get as hard when baked. I was right! I did try two methods though to see which one fared better. The first method was to roll the cookie dough into balls and then press a well into the center. I put a dollop of marshmallow fluff in the center and the slightly covered some of it with cookie dough around the sides. I baked the cookies and they came out perfect. The marshmallow fluff became a little bit toasty and slightly hardened just on the outside, while the inside still remained ooey-gooey.
I still wanted to try one more method because I am a crazy cookie experimenter! I wanted to see how it would work if I removed the cookies with two minutes left of baking time and added a dollop of marshmallow fluff on the top and the milk chocolate and graham cracker chunks. I returned them to the oven and baked them for two minutes longer to begin to melt the milk chocolate chunks. The marshmallow came out super soft without any hardness around the edges.
I have to be honest here...both methods work. I wouldn't suggest using marshmallows unless you add them add the very end. That would work but they wouldn't be as soft as marshmallow fluff.
I made my own marshmallow fluff from scratch using this recipe -- HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOW FLUFF which was downright heavenly but you can save yourself some serious time and buy it at the grocery store. Here are some tips and tricks for making the perfect S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies.
How to make the Best Chocolate Chip Smores Cookies:
- Start by making chocolate chip cookie dough. Cream butter and sugars for at least 4 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl to ensure even creaming. I suggest cutting the butter into cubes to allow for easier creaming.
- Stir in milk chocolate chips. My favorite chocolate chips are Guittard. I like to use a combination of milk chocolate chips and chunks. I cut up chunks of Trader Joe's Pound Plus Bar to add to the cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.
- While the cookies are baking, get the marshmallow fluff, milk chocolate chunks, and pieces of graham cracker ready. As soon as you remove the cookies from the oven, add a dollop of marshmallow fluff, press in the chunks of chocolate, and add a few pieces of graham cracker.
- Let set up for at least 10 minutes before eating to allow the cookies to cool.
Chocolate Chip S'mores Cookies Warm milk chocolate chip cookies with creamy marshmallow fluff and graham cracker. The most perfect s'mores and chocolate chip cookie in one!
- 1 cup Butter (cold, cut into cubes)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Milk Chocolate Chips and Chunks (use a mixture of chips and chunks. Reserve chunks to add once the cookies are removed from oven)
- (1) 7-ounce jar Marshmallow Fluff (or make homemade -- recipe link below)
- 2-3 Graham Cracker Sheets (bite-size pieces)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl halfway through.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Fold in flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Add milk chocolate chips. Reserving 1 cup of milk chocolate chunks to add after the cookies have been removed from the oven.
Line a light-colored baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Place cookie dough into large 4-ounce balls. Bake for 8-10 minutes. While baking, get marshmallow fluff, milk chocolate chunks, and graham crackers ready.
Remove cookies from oven and immediately place a dollop of marshmallow cream in the center. Press chocolate chunks and bite-size graham crackers into the cookies.
Let set up for about 10 minutes before eating.
** If you want to make homemade marshmallow fluff -- I used this recipe -- https://livforcake.com/homemade-marshmallow-fluff/