This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup
Creamy chicken and vegetable soup with soft gnocchi pasta in a parmesan cheese creamy both. A warm, comforting bowl of comfort food!
It is that time of year to embrace soup. When it is chilly outside, there is nothing better than a warm bowl of homemade chicken soup. My family loves creamy chicken soup and instead of using traditional egg noodles, I decided to switch it up and use gnocchi pasta. If you haven’t tried gnocchi, you are missing out!
Gnocchi is a plump, pillowy soft pasta made with potatoes, flour, egg, and water. It has a mild, delicate flavor and is perfect in this creamy chicken vegetable soup. It only takes 2-3 minutes to cook so it is a quick and easy addition to this chicken soup recipe.
You can find gnocchi in the pasta section at your local grocery store. You can also find it in the refrigerated or freezer section. They have all types of flavors if you want to mix it up too.
This Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup is made with a traditional vegetable base of onions, carrots, and celery sauteed in extra-virgin oil until softened. Chicken broth and chicken are added and it is simmered until the chicken and vegetables are tender. The chicken is removed and shredded and returned back into the soup. Then you add in some cream or half-n-half, some spices, parmesan cheese, and gnocchi. It is so creamy and delicious, you are bound to come back for seconds!
This Creamy Chicken Soup with Gnocchi pairs so well with homemade bread. If you want to make quick and easy FRENCH BREAD at home, click HERE for the recipe. If you want to make ONE HOUR WHOLE WHEAT BREAD, click HERE.
If you want a time-saver, you can always use a rotisserie chicken and add some shredded chicken into the soup at the very end. I love using rotisserie chicken because it is always tender and seasoned well. You can’t beat the $4.99 rotisserie chickens from Costco!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 6 large Carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 Celery Ribs (chopped)
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 lbs. Chicken Breast or Thighs
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Tarragon or Rosemary (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Red Pepper Flakes
- 16 ounces Gnocchi
- 2 cups Half-n-Half or Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add oil. Stir in onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables begins to soften.
- Add chicken broth and chicken. Stir in salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, tarragon, and red pepper flakes. Cover, lower heat to low, and continue to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Add gnocchi and cook for about 3 minutes. Stir in cream and parmesan cheese. Taste for seasonings and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.