This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
How to make creamy chocolate chip cookie dough at home. It is so easy to make edible chocolate chip cookie dough perfectly paired with vanilla bean ice cream. The easiest and best homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream recipe!
You know that I live for cookie dough. Okay, not really. But I have a strong passion for the good stuff.
I have searched far and wide for an out-of-this-world, crazy good, memorable Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
Whenever I visit an ice cream shop, it is the first ice cream that I taste test. Most of the time, I am left a little disappointed. The cookie dough is usually the culprit! It is usually flavorless, grainy, and void of much chocolate.
I recently visited Rockwell Old Fashioned Ice Cream and finally found the ultimate chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
The vanilla bean ice cream base was rich and creamy and the chocolate chip cookie dough was housemade. It inspired me to come home and create my own version of their chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. The results were mind blowing.
Since it is National Ice Cream Day, we need to celebrate with a big ‘ol bowl of homemade ice cream and this is the recipe for you! It’s super quick and easy and takes little effort. The payoff is better ice cream than you will find in any carton in the grocery store.
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Ingredients:
This homemade cookie dough ice cream is made with all-natural, fresh ingredients, all made from scratch. It is so easy to make!
- Heavy Cream
- Vanilla Beans or Vanilla Extract
Edible Cookie Dough:
- Brown Sugar
- Chocolate Chips
First, start off with a killer vanilla ice cream base. This begins with the good stuff — heavy cream, half n half, sugar, and vanilla. It only takes four ingredients to make perfect vanilla bean ice cream.
Since my recipe doesn’t include eggs, the mixture is cooked only long enough to dissolve the sugars. Here is my original Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Recipe. It is chilled and then placed into an ice cream maker to churn.
If you want it to be soft, it will be ready after churning in the ice cream machine. If you want it to be nice and hard, place it in the freezer for at least 3 hours to harden. I use the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.
The homemade chocolate chip cookie dough is made with sweet cream butter, sugar, brown sugar, milk, vanilla, flour, salt, and chocolate. There is no baking soda needed since we aren’t baking the dough.
This cookie dough only calls for 8 ingredients and can be made in less than 5-6 minutes. You know I am a big believer in chilling your dough so while the ice cream is churning and hardening in the freezer, keep the cookie dough nice and snug, wrapped in saran wrap in the refrigerator. The cookie dough can be added to the ice cream once it is frozen and hard.
How to make homemade ice cream:
- Combine cream, half-n-half, and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often. Cook until sugar is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla bean, vanilla bean paste, or pure vanilla extract to taste.
- Let chill for 30 minutes before placing it in ice cream maker.
- When the ice cream base has cooled, pour it into ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When finished churning, transfer to an airtight container. Allow ice cream to harden in the freezer for at least 1-4 hours.
The result is the best homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream you will ever eat. I am putting my guarantee on this one!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream:
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- 2 cups Half-n-Half
- 1 2/3 cups Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean halved and scraped or 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract or Paste
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
- 1/2 cup Butter melted
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/4 cups Chocolate Chunks or Chips (divided)
- Quick and Easy Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Combine cream, half-n-half, and sugar in medium saucepan. Cook over medium low heat, stirring often. Cook until sugar is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla bean, vanilla bean paste, or pure vanilla extract to taste.
- Let chill for 30 minutes before placing in ice cream maker.
- When the ice cream base has cooled, pour into ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacture's instructions.
- When finished churning, transfer to airtight container. Allow ice cream to harden in freezer for at least 1-4 hours.
- To make Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
- In medium bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 4 minutes. Add milk and vanilla and stir.
- Stir in flour, salt, and 3/4 cup of chocolate chunks, reserving 1/2 cup for the ice cream.
- Wrap dough tightly in Saran Wrap and place in refrigerator to chill.
- When ice cream is complete, crumble cookie dough into ice cream, and the remaining 1/2 cup of chocolate chips or chunks and stir.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I hope you LOVE this Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream! Can’t wait to hear what you think. Happy Eating! xo