This pimento cheese dip is famous in the South for good reason. This pimento dip is made with cream cheese, mayonnaise, two types of cheddar cheeses, chopped pimentos, cayenne pepper, and a touch of salt.
We could not eat enough pimento cheese dip when we visited the South. We ordered it as an appetizer at every single restaurant we visited in Charleston and Savannah. It is lovingly referred to as "the caviar of the South" and I have to agree!
When we were driving through Georgia, my husband, who is an avid golfer, had to stop by Augusta National Golf Course in Georgia to peek in at the beauty of it. The Master's Golf Tournament is played every year in the same place and they are known for their famous pimento cheese sandwiches, served on basic white bread.
This is the beloved weekend where golf fanatics everywhere are glued to the TV and since we live in Arizona and can't order a pimento cheese sandwich, I made one for him to celebrate his favorite golf tournament.
What is Pimento Cheese Spread made of?
Pimento Cheese Spread can be made with different variations of ingredients but generally, it is made with cream cheese, mayonnaise, chopped pimentos from a jar, cheddar cheese, cayenne pepper, and salt. You can add in hot sauce, jalapenos, and more cayenne for extra spice.
What are pimentos?
A pimento is a cherry pepper that is usually red in color. Pimento peppers are small heart-shaped sweet peppers with a mild flavor and are considered mild on the heat scale. Pimento peppers are mild, sweet, and not considered spicy but offer a good flavor payout. They are generally pickled, chopped, and served in jars.
What do you eat Pimento Cheese Dip with?
Pimento Cheese Dip can be eaten in many ways. You can eat it as an appetizer or as an entire meal on a sandwich or burger.
- Pimento dip can be eaten sandwiched between two slices of soft white bread
- Crackers, French bread baguette slices, tortilla chips, carrots, and celery can be dipped into the pimento cheese dip
- Folded into the deviled eggs mixture
- Used as a spread for paninis or hot sandwiches
- Placed on top of burgers as a spread or topping
Should Pimento Dip be served cold?
Yes! Since it is a cream cheese and mayonnaise-based dip it is important to serve cold. I suggest chilling the pimento cheese dip until ready to serve guests or use as a spread.
How to make Pimento Cheese Dip:
- Start by softening the cream cheese so it easily incorporates into the other ingredients. I suggest using a stand mixer, such as a Kitchenaid, or a hand mixer for this recipe to make sure you get the cream cheese and mayonnaise mixture extra creamy. You can stir it by hand as well but just make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature.
- Chop the jarred pimentos. Fold into the cream cheese mixture. Grate the mild cheddar and sharp cheddar cheeses and fold them into the pimento dip.
- Season it with cayenne pepper, a touch of salt to taste, and hot sauce, if so desired.