Sugar Cookie Bars
Soft and chewy sugar cookie bars with a sweet cream cheese frosting. The perfect sugar cookie bar recipe!
Sugar cookies are a classic cookie recipe but are known to be quite time-consuming. The rolling out, the cutting into shapes, the baking, the frosting. It takes several hours to whip up a batch! I grew up making sugar cookies for all kinds of holidays -- Valentine's Day, Easter, Christmas, and everything else in between.
Sugar cookies are definitely worth the time commitment but I am sharing a quicker way to enjoy homemade sugar cookies! Hello Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookie Bars.
These Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars are made by whipping up homemade sugar cookie dough, pressing it into a 9 x 13 baking pan, baking it until nice and soft, and then frosting with a sweet cream cheese frosting.
A secret ingredient in these sugar cookie bars is cream cheese! It makes the bars extra tender and the perfect chewy texture.
How to make Soft and Chewy Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars:
- Cream butter, sugar, and cream cheese together for 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. This helps to whip air into the batter which helps while baking an also creates a creamy, smooth texture. Make sure the cream cheese is softened so it easily incorporates with the other ingredients.
- Bake until slightly underdone as the cookie bars will firm up as they cool. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Whip frosting for at least 4 minutes to make it extra fluffy. Stir in food coloring, if desired.
If you love dessert bars, check out these other popular bar recipes:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM --- FACEBOOK --- PINTEREST
Sugar Cookie Bars. Soft and chewy sugar cookie bars with a sweet cream cheese frosting. The perfect sugar cookie bar recipe!
- 1 cup Butter (softened)
- 2 ounces Cream Cheese (softened)
- 2 cups + 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Butter (softened)
- 8 ounce Cream Cheese (softened)
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream or Whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract (or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, whip together butter, cream cheese, and sugar for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and whip for 1 minute longer.
Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix just until combined. Press sugar cookie dough into a 9 x 13 baking pan (I use an aluminum pan). You may use parchment paper on the bottom of the pan for easy removal.
Bake for 24-28 minutes. Watch carefully because you want them to be slightly underdone as they will firm up as they cool. Set aside to cool.
In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese for 2-3 minutes. Add powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract and whip for 2-3 more minutes. Fold in food coloring, if using.
Spread over cooled sugar cookie bars. Cut into squares and serve.