Loaded Baked Potato Soup
A rich and creamy potato cheese soup topped with crispy bacon, sour cream, green onions, and sharp cheddar cheese. A family favorite soup recipe!
This Cheesy Potato Soup loaded with toppings is WAY better than a baked potato. It is a rich and creamy soup with potatoes simmered in chicken broth to infuse them with flavor and topped with bacon, cheddar cheese, green onions, and sour cream.
This is a gourmet take on a classic soup and the toppings just put it over the top. This is one of the most popular creamy soup recipes for good reason! I love to make a huge pot of this and serve with homemade french bread during the winter months.
How to make the BEST Baked Potato Soup:
- Start by sauteeing butter and onion in a heavy-bottomed pot until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute (the garlic can burn quickly and become bitter so it is only quickly sauteed).
- Add cubed potatoes and chicken broth and let the potatoes slowly simmer. The chicken broth infuses the potatoes with flavor as they cook and soften.
- While the potatoes are cooking, saute butter and flour in a pot to begin to make a roux. Once the butter and flour have been whisked together to make a paste, slowly add whole milk and heavy cream. Stir in the seasonings. Let the sauce thicken. Once it is thickened, stir in the sour cream.
- Add a good amount of sharp cheddar cheese. This adds so much flavor and creaminess to the soup and is a must. I suggest sharp cheddar cheese but you can also use medium cheese.
- Top the baked potato soup with crispy bacon, more cheddar cheese, green onions, and sour cream.
Here are more POPULAR SOUP RECIPES:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. If you make any of my recipes, tag me on Instagram @modern_honey so I can see your creations. It’s one of my favorite things seeing you make these recipes in your own kitchen. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM --- FACEBOOK --- PINTEREST
Baked Potato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Salted Butter (divided)
- 1 large Onion (finely diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced or ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder)
- 4 lbs Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 1 ½ cups Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 2-3 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 lb. Bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 4 Green Onions (chopped)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter and onion and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until the onions start to become soft and golden in color. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cubed potatoes and chicken broth. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Let simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. The time will depend on how large the pieces of potato are. You may need to reduce the heat to low.
- Meanwhile, heat another pot over medium heat. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter. Using a whisk, add flour and continually whisk to form a paste. Stir in whole milk, heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Continue to whisk often as the mixture begins to thicken. Let it cook for at least 10-15 minutes, or until the mixture begins to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in sour cream until it is completely incorporated.
- Add cream mixture to the potatoes in a pot and stir. Stir in the cheese and let melt and thicken. Taste for seasonings.
- Cook bacon according to package instructions. Top soup with crumbled bacon, extra cheese, green onions, and sour cream, if so desired.