This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
A creamy cheesy cauliflower soup made with fresh cauliflower, cream, sharp cheddar cheese, and bacon. A velvety smooth cream of cauliflower soup will become a winter staple in your home!
It’s officially soup season and I couldn’t be happier about it. I love stocking my fridge with all kinds of soups since they are the easiest thing to heat up for a quick, nourishing lunch. The lows are actually going to dip into the 30’s this weekend so soup is on the menu all weekend long!
I have been a fan of the restaurant, Zuppa’s, for years and their Wisconsin Cheddar Cauliflower Soup. Since I don’t visit there as often as I would like to and indulge in their cream of cauliflower soup, I needed to create my own version at home.
This Cheesy Cauliflower Soup is made with fresh cauliflower, cream, spices, and chicken broth for extra flavor. This has become my new favorite soup. It is such a creamy cauliflower soup with sharp cheddar cheese to give it a creamy flavor. A touch of stone ground mustard gives it a kick. Top it with bacon to really put it over the top!
How to make the Best Cheesy Cauliflower Soup:
- Start by sauteeing onion with butter to soften and bring out the flavor of the onion. Add garlic and cauliflower and saute for several minutes. Add chicken broth and let simmer for 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender. Carefully puree the soup by using an immersion blender or place it in a blender. It will be hot so make sure to vent the top.
- Make a cream base roux but heating up butter and a small amount of flour (or cornstarch). Add half-n-half, milk, and spices and let it thicken.
- Add cream base to cauliflower puree and season to taste. Add cheese and let it melt until it is velvety smooth. Serve with crispy bacon and sharp cheddar cheese.
If you LOVE SOUP recipes, check out some of the most popular soup recipes:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. If you make any of my recipes, tag me on Instagram @modern_honey so I can see your creations. It’s one of my favorite things seeing you make these recipes in your own kitchen. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM — FACEBOOK — PINTEREST
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (divided)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced or 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder)
- 1 large head Cauliflower, chopped (about 2 to 2 1/2 lbs)
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Flour (or cornstarch)
- 2 cups Half-n-Half
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Stone Ground Mustard (or dijon)
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese (or 2 cups cheddar, 1 cup Pepper Jack Cheese)
- 6 Slices Bacon (cooked until crispy and crumbled)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add 2 Tablespoons of butter and let melt. Add onion and saute for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and chopped cauliflower. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and cover with lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, make a roux in another pot. Heat remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter and flour over medium-low heat. Once it makes a paste, add half-n-half and whole milk. Stir in mustard, salt, and pepper. Let thicken for 8-10 minutes.
- Once cauliflower is tender, carefully transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree. I use a measuring cup to transfer one cup at a time. Make sure to vent the blender and not fill it too much since it does expand.
- Stir cauliflower puree into cream mixture. Add cheese and stir together. Season to taste. Serve with crispy bacon and extra cheddar cheese.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I hope you love this cheesy cauliflower soup! Thanks for following along!