The best homemade soft buttery pretzels are even better than the pretzels you find at the mall. All of the tips and tricks for making the perfect homemade soft pretzels!
Warm, buttery, soft, and fluffy pretzels are carb heaven.
I used to think that homemade pretzels had to be difficult to master. I had no idea how easy there are to make! I am sharing with you all of the tips and tricks to making buttery, soft pretzels at home. You don't need fancy equipment or a huge list of ingredients but just a few special techniques.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT BUTTERY, SOFT PRETZELS AT HOME:
- Let your yeast work for you. Yeast can be finicky so it's important to let it begin to foam up. Warm water is essential -- not too hot or it will kill the yeast and not too cold or it won't get it to work. Warm water, around 110 degrees, does the trick. Yeast loves sugar so by adding honey or a touch of sugar to the yeast, it helps to activate it even more. Do you know what kills yeast? SALT. That is why we add the salt after the yeast has worked for at least 10 minutes.
- Bread flour has a higher amount of gluten which will produce a chewier pretzel. I have used both all-purpose flour and bread flour in these pretzels and even though both work well, the bread flour is slightly superior.
- Dipping the pretzels in boiling water + baking soda helps to create it's texture, flavor, and appearance. It helps to create the chewy texture and golden brown appearance.
- Baking at high heat helps to keep the pretzel shape and create a golden brown masterpiece.
- An egg wash gives it a shiny crust.
- Coarse salt gives it the salty flavor and melted butter makes it sinfully good.
Rolling the pretzels are important. Cut into 6-8 pieces and roll each strip into a 20-inch long rope. Follow the photos below and shape each rope into a pretzel shape.
I love my Bosch for making bread and these homemade pretzels are no exception!
BOSCH PACKAGE DISCOUNT DEAL
Y'all know that I love a good deal. I wanted to share with you my experience with Bosch and to give you a GREAT deal. They are offering a limited time offer which includes not only a Bosch mixer but the entire Bakers Package and Ice Cream Maker. Here are all of the details:
I would LOVE to hear how these Buttery Soft Pretzels turn out for you!
Happy Baking! xo
Made dough last nite but wouldn’t stretch so put it in fridge & made them this morning! Came out perfect!
Thank you, I will never use any other recipe besides this one!!
I seen this recipe on Pinterest.Very simple instructions, I didn’t use my stand mixer I just kneaded for 5 minutes. The pretzels came out undoubtedly delicious. The pretzels came out crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Great recipe for beginners.
Would definitely make these pretzels again.
Very easy to make and my 2 littles had fun rolling them out and shaping them. They were quickly devoured by all of us, thanks for a great recipe!
I just saw this on TikTok! My kids and I are gonna try it. 🙂 What is the dip you show at the end of the video?
I’m not sure what happened with this recipe, but the dough came out SO sticky. So much so that it was impossible to divide it, let alone roll it. We ended up dropping spoonfuls into the water and ended up with pretzel “chunks”. The flavor was great, but wondering if anyone else has had this issue.
Recipe was followed exactly. Thought about adding more flour but wasn’t sure if that would mess up the dough, so we made do with what we had.
Just made these with my daughter and our entire family loves them!! They came out perfect! They are soft and buttery! My kids said that they are better than the ones from the mall! I’ll definitely be making these again!!
Can sourdough starter discard be used in this recipe in place of something else? I have some that I don't want to go to waste! Thanks!
These are delicious! We only had all-purpose flour but they turned out great!
This recipe turned out great! I highly recommend it! very soft, buttery, and a ton of flavor. Will be making them again next week too!
Can I use instant yeast in substitute for active? And if I did what would I have to do, does anything change? Sorry I’m new to baking with yeast 🙁
WOW Excellent! Just made the first of many batches. Thanks.
Wondering what would happen if either the first or the second rise were longer than the recipe calls for. I'm trying to time these for a Super Bowl party, but I have some commitments during the day that conflict with the prescribed timing.
I’ve read that the longer the rise time, the more flavor.
Can I use rapid rise yeast instead? How would that change things? (Baking novice sorry!)
OMG, these are so good, chewie and butterlicious! My husband loves them and I will be keeping this recipe to make again and again.
First recipe with my new Kitchen Aid mixer...these were amazing! Thanks for an easy recipe that made such delicious pretzels.
Question for you....I have instant yeast. May I use it instead of the one you have listed?