This No Knead Bread is baked in a dutch oven and is the perfect crusty french bread recipe. This makes a beautiful artisan loaf of bread and is so easy! The only ingredients you need are flour, water, salt, and yeast for the perfect overnight bread.
This is the easiest bread recipe known to man! It literally takes two minutes to prepare. I was in shock the first time I made this bread because it was just too easy and the end result was absolutely mind blowing.
The first time I made this bread for my Mom, who is the ultimate bread maker, she couldn't believe how easy it was and we ended up with crusty artisan bread that looked like it came straight from a French bakery.
The ingredients in this No Knead Bread are flour, salt, yeast, and water. That's it! This bread recipe calls for only 4 ingredients. You literally stir the ingredients together for 30 seconds and you are done. Just set aside the bread dough to rise for 12-18 hours and then bake it. That's it!
The key is baking the bread in a dutch oven. This helps to create a crusty exterior. I am positive you are going to love this homemade artisan bread recipe!
Dutch Oven Bread Ingredients:
- Flour -- I suggest using all-purpose flour or bread flour in this recipe. Bread flour has a high protein content so it is good for a hearty bread. All-purpose flour has slightly less protein than bread flour but is a universally used flour because of its protein content.
- Yeast -- I suggest using active dry yeast. You only need ½ teaspoon because this is a slow-rising bread. This is going to slowly rise for 12-18 hours.
- Salt -- If bread is ever lacking flavor, it is because there is not enough salt in the dough.
- Warm Water -- I suggest the water be warm at approximately 110 degrees. This helps to activate the yeast. If it is too hot, it will kill the yeast. Use a thermometer to check the temperature of the water.
Why does Overnight Bread have such a long rise time?
This dutch oven bread doesn't call for that much yeast, only ½ teaspoon, so it needs a long rise time to develop flavor and create the perfect texture.
Slow and steady wins the race with this artisan bread recipe. You end up with a flavorful, chewy texture, with a crusty exterior. it is the perfect no-knead bread recipe!
Why do you need a Dutch Oven or a pan with a lid?
Dutch ovens are known for their even baking and they have the benefit of trapping the steam released by the dough in the initial phase of baking.
The steam prevents the crust from setting until the loaf has expanded to its maximum height. Once this happens, you remove the lid and let the top of the bread brown for several minutes.
What type of Dutch Ovens do you suggest for baking Dutch Oven Bread?
My favorite Dutch Ovens are the Staub Brand Dutch Ovens and the LeCreuset Dutch Ovens. I always look for them to go on sale. They are always coming out with new, beautiful colors and I am a sucker for a gorgeous dutch oven.
You can also find a Lodge Dutch Oven on Amazon for a less expensive price.
I use my dutch ovens all of the time for so many recipes. I actually leave two dutch ovens out on my stove at all times, that's how much I use them!
How to make the Best No Knead Bread:
- Start with a mixing bowl. Add flour, yeast, salt, and warm water. Check to make sure the water is warm but not hot. You want the water to be about 110 degrees. If it is too hot, it will kill the yeast.
- Stir the mixture together. The mixture will look shaggy and that is ok. I suggest using your hands to create a ball and bring all of the ingredients together.
- Cover and let the mixture rise for 12-18 hours. It is important to let it rise for at least 12 hours as it allows the flavors to develop.
- When ready to bake, heat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the dutch oven into the oven to allow it to heat up for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a piece of parchment paper. Shape it into a round ball that will fit into the dutch oven.
- Carefully remove the hot dutch oven from oven. Place the dough with the parchment paper into the hot dutch oven. Cover with the lid.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, carefully remove the lid with hot pads and let it brown for about 6-12 minutes, depending on how brown you want the crust to be.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes before slicing.
POPULAR BREAD RECIPES:
I love baking bread and have some easy bread recipes like my Soft French Bread Recipe, which even kids can make!
If you want to make bread for sandwiches, check out my Classic Sandwich Bread Recipe.