Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
Creamy parmesan cream sauce tossed with fettuccine pasta and topped with sauteed chicken
This is a classic Italian-American dish that needs to be in every single kitchen. My Fettucine Alfredo Recipe and Skinny Fettucine Alfredo Recipe (with 75% less fat) are some of the most popular recipes on my Modern Honey. So I decided to add some protein by adding some sliced chicken breast!
I am heading to a food conference tomorrow in Utah where I will be surrounded by about 600 other foodies. It is basically a "safe zone" to talk incessantly about our love of food. Last year at the registration table was a banquet size table filled with an assortment of Ruby Snap cookies. I am pretty sure I ate 4 cookies by the time it was 9:00 am and it was completely normal.
Every time I go to Utah, I always want to hit the famous pasta place that I went to almost weekly while I was up in college. They served the best chicken fettuccine alfredo and I wanted to make it in my own kitchen!
What ingredients are in Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo?
It all starts with a homemade alfredo sauce made with butter, garlic, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese tossed with fettuccine pasta. It is topped with seasoned sauteed chicken breast.
How to make Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo:
- Start by bringing water to a boil in a large pot. Add a generous amount of salt to the water to season the pasta while it cooks. Once it is boiling, add the fettuccine pasta and cook according to package instructions. I love to use fresh, refrigerated fettuccine pasta.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add garlic. Cook until softened — about 1 to 2 minutes. Watch carefully as garlic can burn quickly!
- Add heavy cream and let simmer over medium-high heat for about 5-8 minutes to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add half of the parmesan cheese to the mixture and whisk well until smooth.
- While the sauce is thickening, cook the chicken. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Add butter and let melt. Season chicken with garlic powder and parsley. Cook for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Toss alfredo sauce with fettuccine pasta and add half of the parmesan cheese. Once it is tossed, garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place sauteed and sliced chicken breast on top of fettuccine alfredo. Garnish with fresh parsley, if so desired.
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 1 lb. Fettuccine Alfredo (I prefer to use fresh, refrigerated fettuccine pasta)
- 6 Tablespoons Salted Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1 ½ cups Heavy Cream
- 1 ¼ cups Parmesan Cheese (high-quality, grated)
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- ½-1 teaspoon Salt
- In a large pot, heat water over high heat until boiling. Add a generous amount of salt to season the water. Once it is boiling, add fettuccine and cook according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream.
- Let heavy cream reduce and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Add half of the parmesan cheese to the mixture and whisk well until smooth. Keep over heat and whisk well until cheese is melted.
- While sauce is thickening, heat another skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 Tablespoons of butter to the pan and let melt. Place the chicken in the pan and sprinkle with garlic powder, parsley, and salt. Cook for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. Cook until no longer pink. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Toss alfredo sauce with fettuccine pasta and add half of the parmesan cheese. Once it is tossed, garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese. Add a little pasta water if it needs to be thinned out.
- Top with sliced chicken breast and garnish with fresh parsley, if so desired.