Chicken Fettucine Alfredo
Creamy parmesan cream sauce tossed with fettuccine pasta and topped with sauteed chicken
This is a classic Italian-American dish that needs to be in every single kitchen. My Fettucine Alfredo Recipe and Skinny Fettucine Alfredo Recipe (with 75% less fat) are some of the most popular recipes on my Modern Honey. So I decided to add some protein by adding some sliced chicken breast!
I am heading to a food conference tomorrow in Utah where I will be surrounded by about 600 other foodies. It is basically a “safe zone” to talk incessantly about our love of food. Last year at the registration table was a banquet size table filled with an assortment of Ruby Snap cookies. I am pretty sure I ate 4 cookies by the time it was 9:00 am and it was completely normal.
Every time I go to Utah, I always want to hit the famous pasta place that I went to almost weekly while I was up in college. They served the best chicken fettuccine alfredo and I wanted to make it in my own kitchen!
What ingredients are in Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo?
It all starts with a homemade alfredo sauce made with butter, garlic, heavy cream, and parmesan cheese tossed with fettuccine pasta. It is topped with seasoned sauteed chicken breast.
How to make Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo:
- Start by bringing water to a boil in a large pot. Add a generous amount of salt to the water to season the pasta while it cooks. Once it is boiling, add the fettuccine pasta and cook according to package instructions. I love to use fresh, refrigerated fettuccine pasta.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and then add garlic. Cook until softened — about 1 to 2 minutes. Watch carefully as garlic can burn quickly!
- Add heavy cream and let simmer over medium-high heat for about 5-8 minutes to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add half of the parmesan cheese to the mixture and whisk well until smooth.
- While the sauce is thickening, cook the chicken. Heat skillet to medium-high heat. Add butter and let melt. Season chicken with garlic powder and parsley. Cook for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Toss alfredo sauce with fettuccine pasta and add half of the parmesan cheese. Once it is tossed, garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Place sauteed and sliced chicken breast on top of fettuccine alfredo. Garnish with fresh parsley, if so desired.
Chicken Fettucine Alfredo. Creamy parmesan cream sauce tossed with fettuccine pasta and topped with sauteed chicken.
- 1 lb. Fettuccine Alfredo (I prefer to use fresh, refrigerated fettuccine pasta)
- 6 Tablespoons Salted Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 1 1/2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 1/4 cups Parmesan Cheese (high-quality, grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Parsley
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Salt
In a large pot, heat water over high heat until boiling. Add a generous amount of salt to season the water. Once it is boiling, add fettuccine and cook according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet or pan, heat butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in heavy cream.
- Let heavy cream reduce and cook for 5 to 8 minutes. Add half of the parmesan cheese to the mixture and whisk well until smooth. Keep over heat and whisk well until cheese is melted.
While sauce is thickening, heat another skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 Tablespoons of butter to the pan and let melt. Place the chicken in the pan and sprinkle with garlic powder, parsley, and salt. Cook for 4-6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. Cook until no longer pink. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Toss alfredo sauce with fettuccine pasta and add half of the parmesan cheese. Once it is tossed, garnish with the remaining parmesan cheese. Add a little pasta water if it needs to be thinned out.
Top with sliced chicken breast and garnish with fresh parsley, if so desired.