This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Chocolate Cherry Almond Cookies
Decadent chocolate chunk cookies with dried cherries and sliced almonds. A rich chocolate cherry chunk cookie! This is for all of the chocolate cherry lovers out there!
We are diehard chocolate fans in our home! Wherever we travel, checking out artisan chocolate shops is always a priority. When we visited Seattle, a trip to the famous Theo Chocolate Factory was on the top of my list. We learned how chocolate was made, ate it in its raw form, then devoured every single variety of chocolate they make. I was literally in heaven!
One of my favorite chocolate bars is their Chocolate Cherry Almond Bar. Of course, since I am such a cookie and chocolate fan, I wanted to combine the two and create a special Chocolate Cherry Cookie. I chopped up a Theo chocolate cherry almond bar and placed it on the top of the double chocolate cookie dough and it tastes sinfully delicious!
How to make Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond Cookies:
- Start by creaming butter (cut into cubes) and sugar for at least 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. This is an important step as it helps to create a smooth texture. Add eggs one at a time.
- Use good quality cocoa powder, if possible. Some of the highest rated are Guittard, Callebaut, Valrhona, and Droste. Hershey’s Dark also gets pretty good reviews.
- Add dried cherries and chopped up chocolate bars. The chocolate bars melt so beautifully as they don’t have the same properties as chocolate chips. Chocolate chips are meant to hold their shape while chocolate bars can get more melty. After you roll the cookies into balls, strategically place the chocolate bars on the top of the cookies.
- The almonds can be added to the dough or sprinkled on just coming out of the oven. The almonds will toast in the oven if added to the cookie dough or if you want them to be completely blonde, sprinkle the almonds over the cookies right after baking.
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM — FACEBOOK — PINTEREST
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Chocolate Cherry Cookie
- 1 cup Butter, cut into cubes
- 1 3/4 cups Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1-2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1-2 large Chocolate Bar (preferably with cherries and almonds such as Theo chocolate)
- 1 cup Dried Cherries
- 3/4 cup Sliced Almonds
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream cold butter cubes and sugar for at least 4 minutes, scraping the bowl halfway through mixing.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in vanilla.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips, dried cherries, and almonds. If using a chopped up chocolate bar, strategically place it on the top of cookie dough balls.
- Drop large spoonfuls onto cookie sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.