This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
French Onion Chicken
Skillet Chicken with Buttery Caramelized Onion Gravy and Melted Cheeses. A simple, flavorful, 30-minute meal!
It’s officially cooled off in Arizona! It is a MIRACLE! It’s been overcast and rainy all day long and I am loving every minute of it. It is hard to feel like it’s Fall when it is 105 degrees outside. I will take a day in the 70’s all day long.
Since we are dreaming about sweaters and cozy foods, I have to share a warm, comforting chicken dish that will be sure to please your people. It’s what you want in comfort food — flavorful and filling.
This Skillet French Onion Chicken is made with juicy chicken breasts topped with caramelized onions, two kinds of ooey gooey melted cheese, in a rich velvety sauce. Plus it is all made in one skillet which makes it so easy!
This is such a heavenly dish and you will be hooked after one bite! The melted cheese and caramelized onions completely transform the chicken!
If you love French Onion Soup, you will go crazy for this Cheesy French Onion Chicken. I will break down all of the steps to make it super simple for you!
How to make French Onion Chicken:
- Start with uniformly sized chicken breasts. You can buy thinly sliced chicken breasts or even gently pound them to ensure the breasts are the same size. This ensures they are evenly cooked.
- Season the chicken breast with olive oil and spices. Cook until lightly browned and golden on each side.
- Saute the onions in butter until softened and translucent. This is where the magic happens! When onions become soft, the potency diminishes and the natural sweetness comes out. Stir in beef broth as a base for the sauce. Add in cornstarch or flour to slightly thicken it.
- After the chicken has been browned and the onions are tender, top chicken breast with two kinds of cheese — provolone and swiss and place in the oven to continue cooking the chicken breast and melt the cheeses.
- Top with fresh herbs for a bit of freshness.
If you love Quick and Easy Chicken dishes, check out these recipes:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. If you make any of my recipes, tag me on Instagram @modern_honey so I can see your creations. Also, be sure to tag your photo using the hashtag #modernhoney. It’s one of my favorite things seeing you make these recipes in your own kitchen. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM — FACEBOOK — PINTEREST
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
French Onion Chicken
- 2 large Sweet Onions (sliced)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- (1) 14-ounce can Beef Broth
- 4 Chicken Breasts (pound to uniform size)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch (or Flour)
- 4 Slices Provolone Cheese
- 4 Slices Swiss or Mozzarella Cheese
- Parsley or Fresh Herbs to garnish
- 1/2 cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter to skillet and let melt. Add sliced onions and stir around to coat with butter. Continue to cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until onions are translucent and softened.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken breasts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Once onions are done cooking, remove onions from the skillet and set aside. Place chicken breasts in pan and cook for 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from skillet and place on a plate. Cover with a paper towel to keep warm. Return onions to skillet and sprinkle the cornstarch or flour over onions. Stir. Pour in beef broth and use a whisk to stir the mixture and make sure the cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Once it is thickened, add the chicken back into skillet and spoon sauce all over the chicken. Top one slice of provolone cheese and one slice of Swiss cheese over each chicken breast. Transfer oven-safe skillet to preheated oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon sauce and onions over the chicken. Garnish with parsley or Italian herbs.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Happy Eating, my friends!