The Best Crepes Recipe
An easy homemade crepe recipe made with simple ingredients -- milk, flour, eggs, sugar, water, and butter. Simple 6-ingredient crepe recipe!
I was about 8 years old when my Mom came home with a crepe pan. It was one of those old school crepe pans that you plug into an outlet and dip into the crepe batter. One of my brother's best friends, Byron Garn's Mom, gave us her ultimate crepe recipe and we began making crepes every single Saturday morning. They became my favorite breakfast staple!
I started off real simple with just butter and powdered sugar. Actually, to this day, it is my favorite way to eat a crepe. It is so simple but the creamy butter really comes through with a touch of sweetness.
A simple French crepe recipe is made with ingredients you most likely have in your refrigerator and pantry. These homemade crepes are made with milk, eggs, sugar, flour, water, and butter. That's it! My youngest daughter, Sadie, makes these all of the time all by herself. She just throws all of the ingredients into our blender and mix for 20 seconds and the crepe batter is done!
These crepes can be cooked in a crepe pan or a traditional non-stick skillet. If you want thin crepes, focus on using less batter and making sure to swirl it in the pan to reach all of the edges. If you want a thicker crepe, use a little bit more batter so it ends up thicker all around. My kids prefer a thicker crepe but some people love a paper thin crepe.
If you want extra-thin crepes, I suggest adding a little more water to the recipe to make it even easier to spread to the edges of the skillet.
How to make the BEST CREPES RECIPE:
- In a blender, mix together eggs, milk, sugar, water, melted butter, flour, and a pinch of salt. Make sure to take a spatula to the sides of the blender to ensure all of the ingredients are blended together.
- Heat a non-stick skillet or crepe pan over medium to medium-low heat. Once it has warmed, add a pat of butter or spray non-stick cooking spray all over the pan.
- Pour batter into the center and then lift up the skillet and quickly move it around until the batter has reached the edges of the pan. You want to watch for the batter to start to become opaque. Take a spatula and run it along the edges of the pan. Once the crepe looks set, carefully flip to the other side. The other side only needs about 30 seconds to cook.
- Remove from the pan and place on a plate. Serve warm and top with your favorite toppings
What toppings should I put on my crepes?
- Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Curd
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- Mascarpone Cheese or Cream Cheese
- Dulce de Leche or Salted Caramel
- Dark Chocolate Chunks
- White Chocolate
- Maple Syrup
Some of our favorite crepe combinations:
- Butter + Powdered Sugar
- Lemon Curd + Raspberries + Whipped Cream
- Nutella + Strawberries + Whipped Cream
- Banana + Whipped Cream + Dulce de Leche or Salted Caramel
- Strawberries + Banana + Nutella
- Fruit Jam + Sweetened Mascarpone or Cream Cheese
- Fresh Whipped Cream + Strawberries
- Raspberries + Fresh Whipped Cream + Dark Chocolate
- White Chocolate + Raspberries + Fresh Whipped Cream
- Butter + Maple Syrup
Here are some of my favorite pancake recipes:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM — FACEBOOK— PINTEREST
Does this recipe really have 2c of water.. or was it supposed to be 2T (it mentions 2T in the notes)
Is this a typo?
Yep, it is 2 cups of water. The extra 2 Tablespoons of water in the notes is if you desire a thinner crepe so you can add an additional 2 Tablespoons of water. This is a large batch of crepes so you can always halve the recipe. 🙂
Fantastic recipe!!! Love all the topping options! My whole family loved this recipe.
They look amazing ,just wondering how much the whole recipe serves
The best breakfast!! These crepes are so decadent and light, they're amazing!!
The "best" crepe recipe out there! So easy to make, they turn out perfect every time and we always have ZERO leftovers as everyone LOVES them!! I love that you can mix up what you put on them, we always have fun with that.
Making these Right now. It's a lot of batter and I thought perhaps the water measurement was off but they are coming out Great! I have 2 teenage boys so this perfect. Thank you!
Two cups of water?? I’ve never seen a crepe recipe with that much water before? Just wanted to clarify! Thanks!
I made these today with sweetened mascarpone cream and strawberry jam. All I can say is yum yum!
Thank you, I'm going to try this in the next couple days!
Excellent, perfect measures. I used rice milk. Thank you
Thanks for all your work and information. My granddaughter made your chocolate chip cookies and shared with me and I was hooked.
I would love to make these but am 85 years old, live alone and this sound like a lot of crepes. To half it would be too many. Does the mix store well or what do you suggest. I love you web site but hardly ever make anything, just drool a bit, because of the quanity. I am always wishing for a cookbook for one.
Donna A Pollock
I have not made these yet, but I will be trying them out this coming weekend. Oh my they look so lovely and good.
I will have to go get more toppings just so I know for sure which one I will like the best. I'm sure it will be with the lemon and strawberries. I can't wait to try my skills and see what happens. Thank you for this delicious recipe, I cant wait to make it.