Peach Berry Trifle
Angel food cake, a sweet, creamy, fluffy filling with fresh peaches and raspberries makes this the perfect summer dessert.
It is the end of peach week so why not go out with a bang? Since it is Sunday, it is all about dessert. For awhile we went through the "trifle phase." Basically every Sunday dessert was some type of trifle -- brownie trifle, angel food trifle, pound cake trifle. We've tried them all!
Here the deal -- making a trifle dessert is about as easy as it gets. You just throw some cake together with a filling and fresh fruit and you have a dessert. It looks impressive and beautiful yet without all of the work. It also can serve a lot of people so it is perfect for a potluck or large family dinner. It is also great as leftovers since the filling becomes friends with the cake and everything just gets that much better.
This Peach Berry Trifle starts with pre-made angel food cake you can pick up near the bakery at your local grocery store. We are already starting with something super simple! Just cut it into bite-size pieces and you are good to go!
The creamy filling is made with cream cheese (or mascarpone cheese) and heavy whipping cream, whipped until soft peaks form. Then powdered sugar is folded in to add some sweetness. You can either add vanilla beans or almond extract to the filling, depending on preference. Since almond and peach go so well together, I reached for almond extract.
Next comes the fresh fruit. Since peaches are in season, I am using them every single time. I love to pair fresh berries such as raspberries and blackberries with peaches. Before adding the berries and peaches to the trifle, you can put them in a large bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Let the berries sit for at least 15 minutes to allow the sugar start to dissolve. You won't believe the juices which will come from the fruit!
Once you have all of the ingredients ready for this Peach Trifle Dessert, it is time to assemble into a trifle bowl. You can use any type of glass bowl but here is one of my favorite simple inexpensive trifle bowls -- TRIFLE BOWL. All you need to do is layer, layer some more, and then layer again. It is that easy!
How to make a Peach Berry Trifle:
- Start with a pre-made angel food cake. You can also use pound cake, if you prefer it. I used two small angel food cakes but some grocery stores sell large angel food cakes which means you may only need one. I purchased two 8-ounce angel food cakes and it worked perfectly. Cut into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- To make the filling, make sure your cream cheese is at room temperature. This is going to allow it to easily cream and incorporate with the heavy cream. Once you add the heavy cream and it is being mixed with the cream cheese, make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl several times to make sure everything gets combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and either vanilla or almond extract, depending on preference.
- Slice the peaches and put the berries and peaches in a large bowl. You may want to sprinkle on some sugar to give the fruit a touch of sweetness. Also it helps to create a juice which is phenomenal with the trifle.
- Layer the angel food cake, filling, and then fresh fruit. Repeat over and over again. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I was wondering how far ahead this can be made. I am actually making individual trifles so I wanted to prepare them ahead of time.
Oh wow! This trifle was not only delicious, but so beautiful. I have made many chocolate trifles, but haven't made a fruit one until I tried this. So perfect for summer....I took it to a family part and it was a big hit!