This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies are a mild chocolate soft chewy cookie covered in powdered sugar. A beautifully festive cookie!
It’s Day #3 on my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies! Man alive I love this time of year! I am sharing my festive Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies. If you are a red velvet cake fan, you will love these chewy cookies.
DAY 1: Soft Chewy Sugar Cookies
Crinkle Cookies are known for their chewy centers, crispy edges, and rolled in powdered sugar. These Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies are a stunning holiday Christmas cookie. I found this recipe in a brand new cookbook named Holiday Cookies and had to adapt it slightly and share with you!
How do you make Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies?
- It all starts with melted chocolate. Melt the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or in a microwave at 50% power for about 1 minute.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Chill cookie dough for at least 30 minutes to one hour. Chilling is an important step as it helps the dough set up.
- Roll cookie dough in a shallow dish filled with powdered sugar. Generously coat the balls with powdered sugar, ensuring they are completely covered.
- Place on parchment or Silpat lined baking sheets.
- Bake until cracks begins to appear on the cookies. Watch them carefully.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- 3/4 cup Semisweet Chocolate melted
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Red Food Coloring
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Powdered Sugar to roll cookie dough into
- Melt chocolate in double boiler or place chocolate in microwave-safe bowl and melt at 50% powder for 30 seconds at a time, stirring well. It may take a few rounds to melt. Stir and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar for 4 minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in melted chocolate and red food coloring and mix.
- Add cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt and stir just until combined.
- Cover and chill in a refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour powdered sugar into shallow bowl. Scoop 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Generously roll into powdered sugar ensuring the cookie dough is completely covered.
- Bake for 11-14 or until cookies begins to crack.
- Let cool.
- *Recipe adapted from Red Velvet Crackle Cookies in Holiday Cookies Cookbook
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
If you love red velvet, you must try my Red Velvet Sugar Cookie Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting. They are a must try!
Happy Baking, my friends!