White Chocolate Coconut Cookies
Soft chewy white chocolate coconut cookies are the perfect sweet, buttery tropical cookie!
When I was a kid, I was obsessed with coconuts. I have talked about my love affair with coconuts on Modern Honey before but it may be worth repeating because it was literally my favorite food. What 6-year old would do extra chores around the house and in the yard just to be able to take a drive to Smitty’s and pick out a big ol coconut just for myself.
I would spend so much time in the backyard with just me, a hammer, and a coconut trying to open it. I think my brothers found so much entertainment in watching me from the kitchen window take whacks out of a coconut to no avail. But when I finally got it opened, I would drain out the juice and eat the entire coconut by myself. It may not have been sweet but I love the crunchy tropical treat.
So it would only be fitting to combine two of my favorite things — COOKIES and COCONUT. How can you go wrong? These cookies start off with a sweet buttery cookie dough and then sweet flaked coconut and white chocolate chunks or chips are added. They remind me of being in Hawaii and I am all about that kind of daydreaming!
You can use a mix of white chocolate chunks or chips depending on preference. I picked up a high-quality white chocolate bar from the grocery store and cut it into chunks and also use white chocolate chips. I prefer using sweetened flaked coconut because of the soft texture and sweetness but you can also use unsweetened flakes.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST COCONUT WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES:
- Cream Butter, Brown Sugar, and Sugar with a mixer for at least 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. This process is an important step as it creates a smooth texture and adds air into the dough which will help give the cookies volume and loft once they hit the oven.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, and then add the vanilla.
- Use good-quality white chocolate chips. All white chocolate is not created equal. Guittard and Ghirardelli are the winners hands-down in my book. Add sweetened flaked coconut.
- Bake just until the edges begin to turn a light golden brown color. These cookies are meant to be soft and chewy in the center so don’t overbake.
IF YOU LOVE COOKIES, CHECK OUT THESE FAVORITE COOKIE RECIPES:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM — FACEBOOK— PINTEREST
White Chocolate Coconut Cookies Soft chewy white chocolate coconut cookies are the perfect sweet, buttery tropical cookie!
- 1 cup Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (if using unsalted butter, use 3/4 teaspoon salt)
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups White Chocolate Chips (suggest Guittard or Ghirardelli chips or a mix of chunks and chips)
- 1 cup Sweetened Coconut Flakes
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar for at least 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla.
Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix just until combined. Stir in white chocolate chips and coconut flakes.
Drop onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. I suggest using light colored aluminum baking sheets for even baking. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the edges start to become a light golden color. Don't overbake! Let rest for 5 minutes on baking sheet before removing.