This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The Famous Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding is the best banana pudding recipe ever! This iconic NYC Bakery is known for its banana pudding and I am sharing their famous banana pudding recipe with you!
Every single time we visit New York City, we go straight to Magnolia Bakery for their famous banana pudding. The first time I tried it was when I was pregnant with our second child…so that was about 20 years ago! I could hardly keep anything down but my brother told me that banana pudding may do the trick. He was right and I have been hooked ever since!
My brother, Jeff, lived right in the heart of New York City for years. He was working in Finance and his wife, Christeena, was starring on Broadway (you may have seen her play the role of Cosette and Eponine in Les Miserables or Glinda in Wicked). We loved to go out and visit them in New York City and one of the number one priorities was to try out as much food as possible. They would show us all of the best places to eat in New York City! That’s how I fell in love with Levain Bakery and their chocolate chip cookies.
After trying Magnolia Bakery’s Banana Pudding, I wanted to make it at home in Arizona. Thankfully, Magnolia Bakery has shared their coveted recipe and it is easier than you can even imagine! Now you can make it in the comfort of your own home for a fraction of the price!
What ingredients are in Magnolia Bakery’s Banana Pudding Recipe?
There are only 6 ingredients in this banana pudding recipe!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Instant Vanilla Pudding
- Ice Cold Water
- Heavy Cream
- Fresh Bananas
- Nilla Wafers
I suggest using JELLO Brand Vanilla Pudding and Nabisco Nilla Wafers. I have tried many generic brands of Nilla Wafers and they just crumble and fall apart.
If you want to make some Nilla Wafer crumbs to sprinkle on the top of the banana pudding, simply place 6-8 Nilla Wafers in a food processor with two Tablespoons of butter and grind it up. Sprinkle on the top as a garnish.
How to make Banana Pudding:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk and water until combined. Then add the JELLO Vanilla Instant Pudding and mix until completely smooth, which should take about two minutes. Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.
- In a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add the chilled pudding mixture, a scoop at a time, until it is combined.
- To assemble, use a trifle bowl or wide glass bowl, or individual glass serving bowls or glasses. I will suggest some items down below.
- Spread the pudding mixture on the bottom of the dish and then follow with a layer of cookies, and a layer of sliced bananas, and repeat. Garnish with more fresh whipped cream pudding mixture and Nilla Wafer crumble.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Cookies should be tender and soft.
Here are some baking tools for making Banana Pudding:
Popular BANANA RECIPES:
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Magnolia Bakery Banana Pudding Recipe
- (1) 14-ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Ice Cold Water
- (1) 3.4 ounce pkg. Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix (JELLO Brand)
- 3 cups Heavy Cream
- (1) 11-ounce box Nilla Wafers
- 4 to 5 Bananas (sliced)
- In a stand mixer with a whisk, beat the sweetened condensed milk and water until combined. Add the pudding mix and whip until the mixture is smooth and no lumps remain, about two minutes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overwhip.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the chilled pudding mixture, a spoonful at a time. Mixer until blended and no streaks of pudding remain.
- To assemble, select a trifle bowl or wide glass bowl or individual serving bowls.
- Set aside 6-8 cookies for garnish. Spread 1/4 of the pudding mixture at the bottom of the glass dish. Layer 1/3 of the cookies and then 1/3 of the bananas (enough to cover the layer). Repeat the layering process. End with the final layer of pudding cream mixture.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. Cookies should be soft and tender when poked with a knife. This banana pudding is best served within 8 hours of assembling.
To make a Nilla Wafer Garnish:
- Put the remaining 6-8 Nilla Wafers into a food processor with 2 Tablespoons of butter. Mix until combined and sprinkle on the top of the banana pudding.
- Make sure to tightly cover the banana pudding to keep air from reaching the bananas.
- Sprinkle with Fruit Fresh to keep bananas from oxidizing
- Sprinkle with lemon juice
- Sprinkle with club soda
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.