This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Quick, easy Skillet Lasagna made in 35 minutes is filled with bolognese meat sauce, ricotta parmesan cheese filling, mozzarella cheese, and fresh herbs. This is the best skillet lasagna recipe!
If you want the taste and flavor of homemade lasagna without all of the work, this is the recipe for you! This Skillet Lasagna is quicker and easier than traditional lasagna and dinner can be on the table in about 35 minutes. You don’t even have to boil your lasagna noodles!
My daughter and her husband just came home from college (she is graduated and he is almost done) for Thanksgiving and this is what she requested for her first meal at home. There is just something so comforting about homemade lasagna!
I make homemade lasagna a few different ways — I have a classic lasagna recipe with ricotta cheese filling cooked in the oven, a lasagna recipe made with creamy bechamel sauce cooked in the oven, and this quick and easy skillet lasagna recipe made with ricotta cheese filling.
Skillet Lasagna Ingredients:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Ground Beef or Italian Sausage
- Marinara Sauce — see below for homemade marinara sauce recipe or jarred marinara sauce recommendations.
- Red Pepper Flakes — for extra spice and flavor, add more red pepper flakes.
- Salt and Pepper
- Ricotta Cheese
- Fresh Italian Parsley
- No-Boil or Fresh Lasagna Sheets — I love to use Marina’s fresh lasagna sheets found in the refrigerated section of Whole Foods. You can also use Barilla Oven Ready No-Boil Lasagna Sheets
- Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese — a fresh mozzarella cheese ball, freshly grated, melts beautifully in this skillet lasagna recipe.
You can use jarred marinara sauce or make my homemade marinara sauce recipe. If you use jarred marinara sauce, I suggest using Rao’s, Carbone, or Victoria (if using Victoria, I suggest adding some salt, fresh basil, and garlic).
How to make Homemade Skillet Lasagna with Meat Sauce:
- Start by using a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Drizzle with olive oil. Add diced onion and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in ground beef or sausage and cook for 7-8 minutes or until cooked through. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in marinara sauce and water and stir together. Remove 2/3 of the meat sauce and place in a bowl.
- In a bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper.
- Layer about 3 lasagna sheets in a skillet. You may need to break up some of the lasagna sheets to fit them into the skillet.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the lasagna sheets. Top with meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Repeat.
- Once you have finished layering all of the ingredients, top them with the remaining mozzarella cheese and extra marinara sauce.
- Cover and allow the pasta to cook for about 20 minutes. If you are using fresh lasagna sheets, it will only take about 12 minutes. Check to ensure the pasta is soft.
- If you want the skillet lasagna to be extra bubbly, place it under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil.
What type of pasta should I use in Skillet Lasagna Recipe?
You need to use no-boil, oven-ready lasagna sheets. This lasagna recipe requires no cooking of the lasagna noodles so you need to use oven-ready lasagna. I prefer to use fresh lasagna sheets when they are available.
What type of meat should I use in Skillet Lasagna?
You can use lean ground beef or Italian sausage in this lasagna recipe, depending on preference. You can even do half ground beef and half Italian sausage for extra flavor.
Popular Lasagna Recipes:
- Classic Lasagna Recipe with Ricotta Cheese
- Homemade Lasagna with Bechamel Sauce
- Lasagna made with Cheese Ravioli
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 lb. Lean Ground Beef or Italian Sausage
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 28-ounces Marinara Sauce (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
- 1/2 cup Water
- 16 ounces Ricotta Cheese
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
- 10 No-Boil Oven Ready or Fresh Lasagna Sheets
- 8 ounces Mozzarella Cheese
- Fresh Basil
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. Add onion and cook for 5-6 minutes. Stir in ground beef or sausage and cook for 7-8 minutes or until cooked through. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain or dot with paper towels to remove grease.
- Add in marinara sauce and water and stir together. Once it is heated, remove 2/3 of the meat sauce, place in a bowl, and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Layer 3 lasagna sheets in the skillet (you may need to break up lasagna sheets to fit). Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the lasagna sheets. Top with meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Repeat.
- Once you have finished layering all of the ingredients, top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and any extra marinara sauce. If you want it extra saucy, I suggest adding some dollops of marinara sauce.
- Cover and allow the pasta to cook for about 20 minutes. If you are using fresh pasta lasagna sheets, it will only take about 12 minutes. Check to ensure pasta is soft.
- If you want the skillet lasagna to be extra melted and bubbly, carefully place it in the oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Top with fresh basil.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.