This Berry Chocolate Smoothie is full of blueberries, chocolate protein powder, almond or coconut milk, and almond butter. You can even add in a little banana for extra sweetness. This healthy chocolate blueberry protein shake is full of antioxidants and protein and is the perfect start for your day!
As a busy mama of four kids, I am always trying to figure out ways to send my kids off to school with a nutritious breakfast that they will actually eat or drink. This is the challenge! Smoothies have become a breakfast staple in our home because I can pack and disguise powerful fruits, vegetables, and nuts into one drink.
Since my kids are growing like weeds, we love to add protein to our smoothies. Protein shakes can be boring if made with just water and protein powder. You can add fresh fruits and nut butters to add richness and up the vitamin content.
We keep frozen berries and bananas on hand at all times to throw into our superfood smoothies. Frozen blueberries are my go-to fruit because you get so much bang for your buck! There is so much nutrition packed into one small berry. We have played around these different combinations and this Chocolate Berry Smoothie has become a family favorite. I literally crave this Chocolate Berry Protein Shake every single morning.
This Easy Chocolate Fruit Smoothie can be made two ways and I will share both of my variations below in the recipe card. The first chocolate blueberry smoothie is made with frozen blueberries, coconut milk, chocolate protein powder, almond butter, cacao powder, banana, and topped with coconut flakes.
The second Berry Chocolate Protein Shake is made with Vital Protein Chocolate Collagen Peptides Protein Powder, unsweetened almond milk, frozen blueberries, and almond butter. It is full of chocolate flavor! If you want a touch of extra sweetness, I suggest adding half of a banana.
What ingredients to put in a Berry Chocolate Smoothie:
- Frozen Wild Blueberries - A superfood that is packed with antioxidants. We keep frozen blueberries in the freezer at all times. Wild blueberries are quick-frozen right at harvest, locking in their nutrition and taste. I pick up these frozen blueberries from Costco and have them in my freezer at all times.
- Chocolate Protein Powder - Gives a rich chocolate flavor with 32 grams of protein and only 140 calories. A perfect protein source to start your morning or after a good workout. I also love the Vital Proteins Chocolate Collagen Peptides Protein Powder. This has a strong rich chocolate flavor that makes it taste more like a decadent milkshake.
- Unsweetened Coconut or Almond Milk (unsweetened) - This is one of my favorite things to use in smoothies because it is so low in calories. It is dairy-free and one cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk is only 30 calories and unsweetened coconut milk is only 45 calories. The subtle coconut or almond flavor pairs well with the chocolate protein powder.
- Almond Butter - Made only from ground almonds with zero additives. It is a great natural, healthy fat source plus it adds a little protein boost as well. Adds a creamy richness to the chocolate smoothie.
- Cacao Powder (unsweetened cocoa) - This is optional if you want an extra boost of chocolate flavor. Made by separating cacao butter from the whole bean by cold-pressing. A rich magnesium source that gives a deep chocolate flavor to this smoothie.
- Banana - A well-known potassium source gives a natural sweetness and silky creaminess to the Blueberry Chocolate Coconut Smoothie. This is optional for me as I leave it out most days. If you want to ensure the banana flavor doesn't overpower the chocolate blueberry protein smoothie, use only a half of a banana.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT PROTEIN SHAKE TOPPINGS:
- Coconut Flakes (unsweetened) - Raw, dried coconut flakes straight from fresh coconuts. A natural, healthy fat source.
- Dark Chocolate Shavings -- I would suggest a dark chocolate around 60-70% and chopped into slivers for the top.
- Almond Butter -- This adds a nutty flavor to the smoothie and pairs perfectly with the chocolate.
If you are looking for more smoothie recipes, check out my 6 Superfood Smoothie Recipes.
When you drink this Blueberry Chocolate Coconut Smoothie, you will literally forget that you are drinking something healthy for you. So rich and delicious, you will be craving it every morning! Have a wonderful day, my friends!
Happy Healthy Eating! xo