Homemade fluffy blueberry pancakes are made with fresh blueberries and are the best blueberry pancakes ever! These are easy blueberry pancakes made from scratch.
We take our homemade blueberry pancakes very seriously in our home. My husband, Dean, loves to whip up a batch of fluffy blueberry pancakes on the weekends and my kids love it too! He is the King of Pancakes in our house!
Years ago when I was first recipe testing how to make the perfect buttermilk pancakes, I discovered the magical power of buttermilk. Yes, I used the word "magical." I am such a huge fan of buttermilk that we have a carton in our refrigerator at all times.
Buttermilk transforms the texture of baked goods. It creates a melt-in-your-mouth, tender texture for the best blueberry pancakes.
What ingredients are in Homemade Blueberry Pancakes?
Baking Soda + Baking Powder
There are a few integral ingredients to make easy blueberry pancakes -- a mix of baking soda and baking powder to make them light and fluffy, buttermilk for the creamy and tender texture, and melted butter for flavor and to keep them moist.
Q & A about making homemade blueberry pancakes:
What can I substitute for the buttermilk?
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, you can use whole milk and add 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar. I suggest waiting at least 10 minutes to allow the vinegar to curdle and begin to thicken the whole milk.
When to add fresh blueberries to this easy blueberry pancakes recipe?
I prefer to sprinkle the fresh blueberries over the pancake batter once it hits the pan to cook. This way the blueberries keep their shape. You can also stir the blueberries into the pancake batter but sometimes this can make them blueberries break apart and become mushy.
How do I know when to flip the blueberry pancakes?
You will know when to flip the pancakes when you start to see bubbles pop up on the surface of the pancake. Take a spatula and carefully look under the pancake to see if it a light golden brown color and ready to flip. The bubbles are a good sign that they are getting ready to flip.
How do I make sure my homemade blueberry pancakes are fully cooked through in the middle without burrning the outside of the pancake?
This is an important tip is you want to ensure the pancakes are fully cooked and still maintain that buttery golden exterior. I suggest cooking on a medium-low heat to allow the pancakes to slowly cook inside without becoming too brown. If your pancakes are cooking too quickly on the outside, lower the heat, and watch carefully.
How to make the best blueberry pancakes:
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients -- flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Make sure to get the eggs completely mixed into the pancake batter.
- Set the skillet or pan to medium-low heat. I like to start with a lower heat setting to ensure the exterior doesn't burn before the inside gets fully cooked through. Place a generous pat of butter all over the skillet to give the pancakes a buttery golden exterior.
- As soon as the pancake batter is added to the pan, sprinkle the top side (not touching the skillet) with fresh blueberries. Watch for bubbles start to form and use a turner to check for the pancakes to start turning a light golden color. Flip and cook on the other side.
- Serve with real maple syrup and sweet cream butter.
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM --- FACEBOOK --- PINTEREST