This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with 3 types of Cheese, Crispy Bacon, Creamy Avocado, Fresh Tomatoes, Caramelized Onions, Spring Mix, and a touch of Balsamic Glaze. The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
What kid doesn’t like grilled cheese? Buttery, crusty bread filled with ooey, gooey cheese is what dreams are made of. Okay, maybe it’s just my dreams since I’ve never met a homemade grilled cheese sandwich I didn’t like.
It’s time to gourmet up our beloved grilled cheese sandwich. Don’t you worry – the essential base of the grilled cheese will still be there but we are just adding a few things to take it up a notch.
Let me introduce the Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
It starts off with a crusty bread and layered with three types of cheeses for a complexity of flavors — Swiss, White Sharp Cheddar, and Pepper Jack. Once melted to perfection, it is topped with crispy applewood smoked bacon, creamy avocado, thinly sliced tomatoes, a touch of spring mix, caramelized onions, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. It’s an insanely good grown up grilled cheese sandwich.
Welcome to adulthood.
There are several keys to making a killer grilled cheese sandwich. Let’s break them down:
- Pick a white, crusty bread such as sourdough. This isn’t the time to use your Grandma’s whole wheat 18-grain bread that weighs 10 pounds. You want to get that soft yet crunchy texture when you bite into the grilled cheese sandwich.
- Butter makes everything better. It’s a motto that I strongly live by. Slather that bread with a hefty dose of salted butter because it makes the bread nice and golden.
- A mix of three cheeses keeps the grilled cheese interesting. Swiss, White Cheddar, and Pepper Jack bring incredible flavor to this sandwich.
- Crispy Bacon takes this sandwich to another level. It brings the salty, smoky flavor which balances the cheese perfectly. Go for center cut bacon and cook it until it is nice and crisp.
- Since bacon and cheese can be a little on the heavy side, we are lightening it up! Fresh tomatoes, avocado slices, and a touch of spring mix brings some freshness to the grilled cheese.
- There’s onions and then there’s caramelized onions. There’s no comparison! Caramelized onions brings rich flavor without taking over the sandwich.
- A drizzle of balsamic glaze or vinegar gives it that pop of flavor that adds another flavor dimension to the grilled cheese.
The first time I ate a grown up grilled cheese sandwich was in Provo Utah at Cubby’s and it did not disappoint. Holy cow it was good!
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 4 Swiss Cheese Slices
- 4 White Cheddar Cheese Slices
- 4 Pepper Jack Cheeses
- 8-12 Slices Bacon
- 1-2 Avocados sliced
- 2 Tomatoes thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Spring Mix
- 1/2 Onion thinly sliced
- 5 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Glaze or Vinegar
- In a small skillet, melt 1 Tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook, stirring often, for 11-14 minutes, or until softened.
- Cook bacon according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Place cheese slices on each slice of bread.
- Spread butter over tops of bread. Cook in a skillet over medium low heat until cheese is melted and crust is light golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add bacon, avocado slices, tomatoes, spring mix, caramelized onions, and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
This Grown Up Grilled Cheese Sandwich will knock your socks off with it’s flavor combinations. Let me know what you think on Instagram at modern_honey.