This Halloween Sweet and Salty Snack Mix is made with salty pretzels, butterscotch-tossed Chex cereal, candy corn, Reese's Pieces, and chocolate-covered pretzels. You can even add in some salty peanuts or caramel corn for a more salty and sweet combination. This is the perfect Fall sweet snack mix.
I grew up with a Mom who always had a huge jar of candy corn and salted peanuts during this time of year. Whenever I would come to visit, it was the first thing that I would snack on. I loved the salty and sweet combination and it was the perfect Fall snack mix.
My kids invited a bunch of friends over for a marathon movie night so I whipped up this sweet Halloween Chex mix and they went crazy for it!
I just keep a big jar of it on my kitchen counter when a sweet craving hits. I love the combination of salty pretzels with butterscotch coated Chex cereal and sweet candy corn. You can't forget the peanut butter Reese's Pieces!
- Butterscotch Chex Cereal - melted butterscotch chips are tossed with Rice Chex cereal for the perfect sweet and crunchy combination.
- Salted Mini Pretzels
- Candy Corn or Autumn Mix -- the autumn mix has a combination of candy corn pumpkins and traditional candy corn.
- Reese's Pieces -- these peanut butter candies pair perfectly but you can also substitute M & M's.
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels and White Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Peanuts or Cashews
- Caramel Corn
How to make Halloween Sweet Snack Mix:
- Start by melting butterscotch chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Butterscotch chips can burn easily so I will share my tips to ensure smooth, melted butterscotch. Melt the butterscotch at 50% power and cook for 30-second increments. Stir after each cooking time. It will most likely take about 90 seconds total to melt the butterscotch chips. I suggest using Guittard or Nestle Butterscotch chips.
- Place the Rice Chex Mix in a medium-sized bowl and carefully toss the melted butterscotch with the Chex cereal. Spread onto a parchment paper or foil-lined baking sheet and let it set up.
- In another large bowl, toss the salty pretzels, candy corn, chocolate-covered pretzels, Reese's Pieces, and peanuts (optional). If you want different flavored pretzels, you can dip the salty pretzels into melted white chocolate, milk chocolate, or butterscotch.
- Once the butterscotch Rice Chex has firmed up, lightly toss it with the other ingredients.
- Store it in an air-tight container.
This is such an easy sweet and salty snack mix and is so customizable.
Can I use something else besides butterscotch chips?
Absolutely! You can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, salted caramel chips, or white chocolate.
Can I use any type of Chex Cereal?
Yes! I suggest Rice Chex but you can use Corn Chex as well. If you want more salty elements, you can add in some Bugle snacks.
Popular Fall Recipes:
Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bark
Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
I made four batches of this for a work related Halloween event and it was a huge success. Wound up making over 50 snack bags of it. Only slight change was after coating the chex with the melted butterscotch chips, I then tossed all the salty items into the same bowl and folded them in. This way everything got a slight flavoring of butterscotch. Then we poured it onto a wax paper covered kitchen island and sprinkled in the candy corn and peanut butter M&Ms. It was the first thing to go...and I also made the chocolate Levains!