This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This chewy, fresh lemon brownie with a sweet lemon glaze in made with fresh lemon juice, butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and salt and topped with a tangy lemon sugar glaze.
Oh yes, we just called them lemon brownie. I may know what you are thinking…a brownie is a chewy chocolate bar…and you are right. But we just made a lemon version with the exact same chewy texture and these lemon brownies are heavenly!
These Fudgy Lemon Brownie Bars have the perfect balance of fresh lemon flavor paired with butter for richness and just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the tanginess from the lemon juice and zest. If you love lemon, you may have just found your new favorite lemon bar!
What ingredients are in Lemon Brownies:
These are basically a chewy lemon blondie bar made with butter, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, flour, salt and baked and topped with a sweet lemon glaze made with powdered sugar and lemon juice. I suggest using fresh lemons to make this recipe since lemons are the star ingredient!
How to make Homemade Lemon Brownies:
- Start by using a 8 x 8 pan. Here’s my favorite USA Baking Pan. Lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray or line the pan with parchment paper. This makes it easier to remove the lemon bars from the pan!
- Cream the butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. This helps to remove the graininess from the sugar and create a creamy texture.
- Use only fresh lemons, if possible. This lemon blondie recipe calls for both lemon zest and lemon juice. I suggest zesting the lemons before juicing them because it is much easier.
- Fold in the dry ingredients instead of over-mixing on high-speed as this creates gluten and could result in a tougher lemon brownie and we don’t want that!
- Make a glaze with powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice to spread on the top of the lemon brownie bars.
Here are more popular lemon recipes:
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Lemon Bars
- Skillet Lemon Butter Chicken
- Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) Butter (softened)
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- Zest from 1 large Lemon
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract (optional)
- 1 1/3 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 8 x 8 pan with non-stick cooking spray or line the pan with parchment paper (it makes it easier to cut the lemon brownies).
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars, until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl often. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until mixed together.
- Fold in flour and salt. Stir together. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (meaning there's no runny batter). Let cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. I suggest using a whisk to achieve the smoothest glaze.
- Once the lemon brownies have slightly cooled, pour on glaze. Let the glaze set up before cutting into squares.
- I like to place the bars in the freezer before cutting them into slices to make them easier to cut.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.