This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Soft chewy lemon cookies with fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract to give them the extra lemon tang! These lemon crinkle cookies are rolled in powdered sugar and baked until soft and chewy. The best lemon cookie recipe!
Back in January when we had a plethora of lemons growing from our trees, I went to Instagram and asked what lemon recipes you wanted to see on Modern Honey. I couldn’t believe the huge response and all of the creative ideas!
You asked for a lemon crinkle cookie recipe over and over again!
A popular cookie recipe on Modern Honey has always been my Lemon Sugar Cookies. They are perfectly soft and chewy with slightly crunchy edges. They have a light lemon flavor and taste amazing!
However, I wanted to create a lemon cookie with extra lemon flavor so I created the best lemon crinkle cookie recipe.
The beauty of these soft and chewy lemon cookies is that I use lemon in three different ways — lemon juice, fresh lemon zest, and lemon extract. By using all three of these lemon ingredients, you get a lot of lemon flavor in every single bite!
These homemade lemon cookies are for all of my lemon lovers out there!
Lemon Cookies Ingredients:
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Extract
- Baking Powder
- Powdered Sugar
How to make the Best Lemon Cookies:
- Start by creaming together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. This creates air in the batter which gives the cookies loft once they hit the oven. It also helps the butter to wrap around the sugar and create a smooth texture.
- Add fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, and eggs. By using all three lemon ingredients, you are giving these chewy lemon cookies the most lemon flavor possible.
- Add dry ingredients and mix only until combined. Don’t overmix the dry ingredients or the cookies will become tough. We want tender cookies!
- If you want the cookies to have a more yellow coloring, add yellow food coloring to the dough.
- Roll the lemon cookie dough into balls and then place powdered sugar into a bowl. Roll the cookie dough balls into the powdered sugar.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake until soft and chewy. Don’t overbake these lemon crinkle cookies.
Popular Lemon Recipes:
- Lemon Brownies
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Lemon Cream Pie
- Lemon Sheet Cake
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- 1/2 cup Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 large Egg + 1 Egg Yolk
- Lemon Zest (from 1 lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Yellow Food Coloring (optional)
- 1/3 cup Powdered Sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Add egg, egg yolk, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Mix for 1 minute longer.
- Fold in flour, baking powder, and salt. Add yellow food coloring, if so desired. Chill the cookie dough for 15-30 minutes.
- Place powdered sugar into a bowl. Roll the cookie dough into small balls and then roll into the powdered sugar, coating it well.
- Place on a light-colored parchment-paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until the cookies are still soft in the center. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes.
- I suggest Nielsen-Massey Lemon Extract
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.