Oh summer is here.
The upside of the heat is that grilling season is in full swing. Grilling food by the pool while watching the kids splash around is one of the highlights of summer in our family.
Honey Lime Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa are the ultimate summer meal. They are grilled and basted with a honey lime butter sauce that is so delicious that it just melts in your mouth. Adding citrus to shrimp makes it tangy and fresh and honey sweetens it just a touch.
Fresh Pineapple Salsa made with 3 simple ingredients balances out the shrimp perfectly. Cabbage drizzled with a squeeze of lime juice adds a crunchy element. Oh and we can’t forget about the cheese. It brings a creamy heat to the tacos so there are multiple layers of flavor. These are NOT boring tacos!
We order these Honey Lime Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants, Gecko Grill, and I was determined to create them at home for our family. They are now a family favorite (well let’s be real here. Some of my kids won’t even try shrimp! But my shrimp lovers devour these tacos in no time flat).
If you live in a home with those who won’t eat shrimp, you can substitute chicken in these tacos and it is still absolutely delicious!
Put the shrimp on skewers and place on grill. Baste with honey lime sauce. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Optional: if you don’t want to grill, place shrimp into skillet over medium heat. Add honey lime sauce and cook for 2-4 minutes per side.
Top with fresh pineapple salsa, cabbage, and optional sweet tomatillo salsa.
- 1 lb. Large Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 Tablespoons Butter, melted
- ¼ cup Honey
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Fresh Pineapple, chopped
- ¼ cup Cilantro, diced
- 1 Jalapeno, finely diced
- ¼ Red Cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack Cheese
- 6-8 Corn Tortillas
- optional: sweet tomatillo salsa
- In small bowl, combine butter, honey, 2 Tablespoons lime juice, chili powder, and salt.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Put the shrimp on skewers and place on grill. Baste with honey lime sauce. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Optional: if you don't want to grill, place shrimp into skillet over medium heat. Add honey lime sauce and cook for 2-4 minutes per side.
- In small bowl, combine pineapple, cilantro, and jalapeno. Drizzle remaining 1 Tablespoon lime juice over cabbage.
- Place honey lime shrimp into corn tortillas. Top with pineapple salsa, cabbage, and cheese. Drizzle with remaining honey lime sauce. Top with optional sweet tomatillo salsa.
Pair these with some homemade tortillas chips and guacamole https://www.modernhoney.com/best-ever-homemade-guacamole-chips/ and you have the perfect summer dinner.