This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The Best Easy Apple Crisp Recipe made with fresh apples tossed in sugar and topped with a brown sugar pecan topping. This apple crumble is the perfect Fall dessert!
Oh, how I love the crisp Fall weather and baking. Last Fall, my husband and I flew to Boston, Massachusetts to meet up with his Mom, sister, and her husband to spend a few days driving up the coast of New England. This Arizona girl was eating it all up! I loved everything from the vibrant orange and gold leaves, the cozy shops, the apple picking, the fresh apple cider, the beautiful crisp New England weather, and being able to wear a cozy sweater.
We drove to Vermont and stayed in the dreamiest and coziest home and fell in love with the quintessential charm of Stowe Vermont. Then we spent an entire day apple picking and then coming home and making a beautiful charcuterie board with Vermont Cabot cheese, freshly picked Honeycrisp apples, and drinking apple cider. It was my kind of heaven!
We flew home with much heavier luggage because I brought pounds and pounds of fresh apples home. I couldn’t wait to make a homemade apple crisp with the apples we picked. It was the best apple crisp I have ever eaten in my life!
This Apple Crisp recipe is made with freshly chopped sweetened apples with a handcrafted brown sugar crumble. It is a warm comforting dessert topped with vanilla bean ice cream and salted caramel. A classic Fall dessert made with sweet and tart apples and a homemade buttery brown sugar topping.
I actually wore a sweatshirt last night, lit a pumpkin spiced candle, and devoured this apple crumble dessert. Being able to wear a sweatshirt is always a huge milestone in Arizona when the temperatures dip just crisp and cool enough to actually put on a light jacket. This means it is officially Fall in Arizona and we are eating it up.
Since it is Fall, we need to embrace all of the apple and pumpkin desserts we can. Apple Crisp is one of my husband’s favorite desserts of all time, so it was about time I shared my recipe.
This is hands down the best apple crisp recipe! It is such a foolproof classic dessert made with fresh apples and a homemade brown sugar pecan crumble. Top it with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and it just doesn’t get much better than that.
This Apple Crisp starts with fresh apples. The buttery brown sugar pecan crumble is made with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, sugar, flour, and pecans (or your favorite kind of nut). It is baked until the apples are bubbling and the topping is crisp.
I have such distinct memories of Sunday dinners growing up around the dining room table. We almost always had roast and mashed potatoes and apple crisp for dessert. I can still remember the smell of the apples and cinnamon baking in the oven. This is the quintessential All-American dessert and reminds me of home.
How to make the BEST Apple Crisp:
- Start with FRESH APPLES. Use your favorite kind of apple but I usually reach for Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or McIntosh. Keep people guessing by using two different kinds of apples. Peel, core, and slice into 1-inch bite-size pieces. Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice. The lemon juice keeps the apples from turning brown and also adds some acidity to help balance out the sweetness.
- Make a HOMEMADE BROWN SUGAR PECAN TOPPING. This is made with simple ingredients — cold butter, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, flour, and pecans. Cold butter is important as it helps to keep the topping together once it hits the hot oven. Make the topping first and then place it in the refrigerator while you prepare the apples to keep the topping chilled.
- Bake until BUBBLY and GOLDEN. Place the apples in 8 x 8, 9 x 9 baking pans, or small individual ramekins. Generously sprinkle with topping, lightly pressing into the apples. If you want to make a larger portion, double the recipe and it will fill a 9 x 13 baking pan. Let cool for at least 5-10 minutes to allow the filling to set up and then top with vanilla bean ice cream.
You are going to love this homemade apple crumble crisp recipe! It will remind you of cozy nights spent with family with the crisp apples and sweet brown sugar crumble topping.
POPULAR APPLE RECIPES:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. If you make any of my recipes, tag me on Instagram @modern_honey and use #modernhoney so I can see your creations. It’s one of my favorite things seeing you make these recipes in your own kitchen. Sign up for my newsletter below so you never miss a recipe. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers. FOLLOW ME ON: INSTAGRAM — FACEBOOK — PINTEREST
Pin and share on PINTEREST:
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Brown Sugar Pecan Crumble:
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup Cold Butter (cut into cubes)
- 3/4 cup Pecans, Walnuts, or Almonds (chopped)
- 6 medium Apples (peeled, cored, and chopped into 1-inch pieces, about 6 cups total)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Place the brown sugar, sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon in a food processor or high powered blender (such as a Vitamix). Pulse. Add cold butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Add pecans and pulse. Place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the apples.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, quarter, core, and cut the apples into 1-inch bite-size pieces. Place in a bowl and toss the apples with lemon juice and sugar. Pour the apples into an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 baking pan or 6-8 individual ramekins. Lightly spray baking pans or ramekins with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle topping all over the apples.
- Bake for 35-44 minutes or until apples are tender, the filling is bubbling, and the topping is golden. Let set for 5-10 minutes before serving to allow the filling to set-up. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.