Chipotle Chicken Tinga Tacos
A quick and easy chicken tinga taco recipe. Tender chicken with fire-roasted tomato and chipotle pepper sauce in warmed corn tortillas topped with cotija cheese, avocado, and cilantro.
This is a 15-minute chipotle chicken recipe. You don't get much easier than this for a quick and easy dinner! These chipotle chicken tacos are made with diced tomatoes with green chilies, chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, and Mexican spices sauteed with tender chicken.
You can literally add shredded rotisserie chicken to make it even easier. I love to pick up a $4.99 rotisserie chicken from Costco and shred perfectly tender meat and toss it with the tomato chipotle sauce. You can also poach chicken breasts or thighs and then shred the chicken with two forks and add it to the sauce.
How to make Chicken Tinga Tacos:
- Start by making the sauce. It is made by sauteeing an onion in some olive oil. This helps to soften the onion and bring out its natural flavor and sweetness.
- Stir in tomatoes, chipotle chilies, and Mexican spices. I used Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies. The chipotle chilies can be found in a can and are usually named chipotles chilies in adobo sauce.
- Blend the tomato mixture in a blender just until pureed.
- Stir in the shredded chicken and toss with sauce. My time-saving trick is to use shredded rotisserie chicken.
- Fill corn tortillas with chipotle chicken and top with Mexican cotija cheese, cilantro, and avocado. A sprinkle of lime adds a fresh flavor. May use guacamole instead for more robust flavor.
If you love Mexican recipes using chicken, check out these recipes:
Pin on Pinterest:
I love to hear from you! If you make this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating. If you make any of my recipes, tag me on Instagram @modern_honey so I can see your creations. Also, be sure to tag your photo using the hashtag #modernhoney. It’s one of my favorite things seeing you make these recipes in your own kitchen. Thank you for following along! I truly do have the greatest readers.
15-minute quick and easy chicken tacos with a flavorful tomato chipotle sauce.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Onion chopped
- (1) 10-ounce Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- (2) Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- 3 cups Shredded Chicken (from rotisserie chicken or poached chicken)
- 6-12 Corn Tortillas (warmed)
- Cotija Cheese or favorite Mexican cheeses
- 1-2 Avocados or Guacamole
In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add tomatoes, chipotle chilies, garlic salt, and cumin. Simmer for 6-7 minutes.
Transfer the tomato mixture to a blender and blend the tomato mixture in a blender just until pureed. Return to pan and toss with shredded chicken. Check for seasoning and add salt, if needed.
Warm the corn tortillas. Fill corn tortillas with chipotle chicken and top with Mexican cotija cheese, cilantro, and avocado. A sprinkle of lime adds a fresh flavor. May use guacamole instead for more robust flavor.
Have a wonderful day, my friends!