Juicy, flavorful Greek Chicken made with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and spices. This grilled Greek Chicken is moist and bursting with fresh flavors!
Welcome to Greek food week where I am sharing all of our favorite and authentic Greek recipes. I am starting off strong with grilled Greek Chicken that is so versatile and can be served with so many different foods.
We love Greek food in our home! I have the best recipe for Greek Chicken Gyros with homemade tzatziki sauce. Everyone always rates this recipe 5 stars! I also share how to make homemade Greek Chicken Bowls with Greek Salad on a bowl of rice. Delicious! If you are looking for an easy and flavor-packed Greek Pasta Salad full of fresh vegetables, this is the recipe for you! You can also pair it with a classic GREEK SALAD.
If you have been on Modern Honey for awhile, you may have tried my BEST CHICKEN MARINADE RECIPE (ever!). It is literally our go-to grilled chicken recipe every single time. I wanted to create a Greek version focusing on olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice and herbs. It pairs perfectly with creamy tzatziki sauce.
Greek Chicken Ingredients:
- Chicken -- use your favorite type of chicken -- breast, thighs, tenders, or thinly sliced chicken breast. The tenders and thinly sliced chicken breast will cook faster.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon Juice -- I suggest using freshly squeezed lemon juice from two lemons for true, fresh lemon flavor.
- Salt and Pepper -- it is imperative to use enough salt and pepper to infuse into the chicken.
- Optional: Greek Yogurt
The olive oil keeps the chicken extra moist and juicy. Fresh lemon juice help to break down the fibers in the chicken to make it more tender. The garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper all infuse the chicken with maximum flavor. All of the ingredients work together to create a zesty Greek chicken.
If you want a touch of sweetness, add some honey to the marinade.
Greek Chicken Marinade Instructions:
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Add chicken to large Ziploc bag and pour marinade on top. To ensure the marinade penetrates into the chicken, use a fork to make tiny holes in the chicken.
- Marinate for at least 60 minutes but I suggest at least 3-5 hours for maximum flavor and the juiciest chicken.
- To grill the Greek chicken, set your grill at medium heat. Allow it to preheat before adding the marinated chicken. To keep the Greek chicken from sticking, brush a bit of oil on the grill. Cook for about 5 - 6 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chicken breast. The chicken needs to reach 165 degrees to ensure that it is completely cooked through. I suggest buying a meat thermometer for accuracy.
- Allow the chicken to rest for at least 5-10 minutes to keep the juices inside the chicken.
What to serve with Greek Chicken?
There are so many ways to serve greek chicken. It can be served with so many side dishes. Here are some side dish ideas...
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Homemade Naan Bread
- Greek Salad
- Smashed Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Greek Pasta Salad
Made my chicken so tender and juicy!
This marinade was so good. I used it on chicken thighs overnight and OMG keeper!
The BBQ Queen
We can't bbq chicken without this marinade....it is an absolute necessity in our house. The flavor it gives the chicken is so delicious!
Has to be five stars since my husband actually complimented the chicken dish! Easy to make with ingredients we always have. I used the George Forman grill and played the length of time by ear since there are no settings on it. The chicken stayed moist!
How can I cook this chicken in an air fryer?