This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Years ago the Mediteranean diet was all the rage. Everyone was tapping into their secrets for living healthy lives. Since then, Greek food has been in the spotlight for it’s use of fresh herbs and spices, protein packed Greek yogurt, and flavorful meats.
I am full-on obsessed with it. Bring on the Greek food! I am pretty sure I could eat Pita Jungle every day of my life and be happy.
So, I wanted to create a homemade Greek Chicken Gyro recipe using marinated spiced chicken, grilled to perfection and topped with a homemade tzatziki sauce, fresh Greek Salad, all on a warm pita bread. Phenomenal!
Here’s a few key tips to making an out-of-this-world Greek Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce:
- Marinate your chicken. You want it to not only be flavorful but juicy as well. By marinating it in greek yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, spices, and red wine vinegar, it gives it time for the chicken to soak in all of those traditional Greek flavors. At least 2-4 hours is a suggested amount of time but 24 hours is ideal.
- Make your own Tzatziki sauce. It is so easy since it is made in one bowl and uses only the freshest of ingredients. The key is to squeeze out as much water from the grated cucumber as possible. This ensures that the tzatziki sauce stays nice and creamy. I used Fage 2% Greek yogurt but the fat-free version works well too. Taste for seasoning and salt accordingly.
- These Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki sauce can be wrapped in your favorite pita bread. You can use soft flatbread or Naan bread as well. Warm your pitas before wrapping to make them nice and soft.
- You can also serve this chicken, Greek salad, and handcrafted tzatziki sauce in a bowl. Serve alone or on top of romaine lettuce.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
- 12 inch cast iron skillet
- mixing bowl set
- Chicken Marinade:
- 2 lbs. Chicken Breast cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 Tablespoons Fresh Dill diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves finely diced
- 1 cucumber grated and squeezed to drain
- Greek Salad:
- 3 Tomatoes diced
- 2 Cucumber peeled and diced
- 1/4 Red Onion diced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Italian Parsley diced
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Feta Cheese
- 4-6 Greek Pita Breads Naan bread, or Flatbread
- Place chicken, yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano in bag and let marinate at least 30 minutes, preferably 2-4 hours. The ideal time is 24 hours.
- To make tzatziki sauce, stir together yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, dill, and garlic. Stir in grated cucumber and taste for seasonings. Squeeze the cucumber to remove excess water before adding to rest of ingredients.
- To make greek salad, place tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, parsley, olive oil, salt and pepper in bowl. Stir to coat. Season to taste.
- Chicken can be cooked on grill or in skillet. To cook on grill -- place chicken on kebobs and heat grill to medium heat. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken is full cooked.
- To cook chicken on skillet. Heat skillet to medium high heat. Sprinkle with oil. Add chicken and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked and golden brown.
- Place chicken in pita bread. You can warm the pita bread to make it pliable. Top with tzatziki sauce and greek salad. Add additional feta, if desired.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I hope your family loves these Greek Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce and I can’t wait to hear all about what you are making in your kitchen!