This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Quick and Easy 30-minute Taco Soup Recipe has all of the flavors of tacos made into a soup!
One of my husband’s all-time favorite meals is literally simple ground beef tacos. I kid you not. So in the winter, we turn all of those amazing tacos flavors into homemade taco soup.
It is warm, and comforting, with the perfect amount of spice. This taco soup is similar to my award-winning chili recipe but the big difference is the addition of beef broth to make it a more broth-based soup.
This is a popular soup in our home because it is easy to throw it all in and let it simmer. Then you top it with so many yummy ingredients and it just gets better and better!
What ingredients are in Taco Soup:
This is an easy taco soup recipe. Just saute the ground beef with onions and then throw all of the ingredients in and let it simmer.
- Ground Beef — I suggest using lean ground beef 85-90%.
- Onions — I suggest finely dicing any type of sweet onion, white, yellow, or red onion.
- Jalapeno — you can tailor make the amount of spice in this taco soup recipe by adjusting how many jalapenos to add. If you want it less spicy, remove the seeds and inner membrane.
- Taco Seasoning — this is a blend of chili powder, paprika, cumin, and other spices.
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
- Tomato Sauce — use canned, plain tomato sauce with no spices added.
- Beef Broth — if you want a thinner, more brothy soup, add more beef broth.
- Canned Tomatoes — use diced canned tomatoes. I suggest using Rotel tomatoes with green chilies.
- Corn — use frozen white corn, fresh, or canned corn.
- Beans — add your favorite type of canned beans. I would suggest using pinto beans.
What Toppings to put on Taco Soup:
The sky is the limit on what toppings to add to your taco soup. If you want to make it extra special, cut corn tortillas into long strips, fry in some oil, lightly salt, and sprinkle on top of the taco soup.
- Fresh Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Strips
How to make Easy Taco Soup:
- Start by browning the ground beef and onion in a skillet until cooked through and browned. Drain any grease from the skillet. If there is just a little grease, you can blot it with a paper towel. Sprinkle with seasonings.
- Add in tomato sauce, beef broth, and canned Rotel. Let it simmer until it starts to slightly thicken.
- Add in corn and beans and bring to a simmer.
- Sprinkle in some cheese for extra flavor. Check for seasonings.
- Serve with fresh cilantro, cheese, sour cream, tortilla strips, and avocado.
Popular Soup Recipes:
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup made with tender chicken with fresh veggies in a lemon cream broth with parmesan cheese
Chicken Tortilla Soup Tender chicken in a spicy tomato broth-based soup topped with homemade tortilla strips, fresh avocado, and cilantro.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup The creamiest and cheesiest soup! One of the most popular on the blog for good reason.
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup One of my favorite comfort meals, plus it’s super easy to make!
Texas Beef Chili This is an award winning recipe that’s perfect for cook-offs or just any weeknight!
Creamy White Chicken Chili Everybody loves white chicken chili! You can’t go wrong, this is the perfect recipe!
Chicken Pho This is my version of the popular Vietnamese Chicken Pho soup. The most requested healthy soup recipe in my house!
My favorite pots to make soup in are my Staub Dutch Ovens.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 medium Onion (diced)
- 1 Jalapeno (finely diced)
- 1 1/2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef
- 3 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 cup Canned Tomato Sauce (plain)
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 10 ounce can Rotel Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- 1 1/2 cups Corn (frozen, fresh, or canned)
- 14-ounce can Pinto or Chili Beans
- 1 cup Mexican Cheese Blend
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Strips
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil and onions, and jalapeno and stir to coat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Drain the grease out of the skillet or blot with a paper towel to remove excess grease. Add in taco seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomato sauce, beef broth, and rotel tomatoes. Let it simmer until it starts to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Add in corn, beans, and cheese and heat for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Taste for seasonings.
- Serve with sour cream, fresh cilantro, tortilla strips, Mexican cheese, and avocado.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.