The Best White Chicken Chili Recipe made with shredded chicken, jalapeno, onion, spices, in a creamy chicken broth with salsa verde, cream cheese, white beans, shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro. The perfect creamy white chicken chili recipe!
It's that time of year when creamy, comforting, warm soups just sound so perfectly cozy and inviting. I love to make the best white chicken chili recipe because it just seems to be almost universally loved. Kids and adults just seem to love a big bowl of creamy white chicken chili!
I wanted to share our go-to white chicken chili recipe that is super popular in our home.
Creamy White Chicken Chili Ingredients:
- Onion -- the base of flavor for the soup and an integral ingredient.
- Jalapeno -- this adds the perfect amount of flavor and spice.
- Olive Oil -- you can use any type of oil to sautee the onion and pepper in.
- Spices -- Chili Powder, Cumin, Garlic, Salt, and Pepper. Add more spices for extra flavor!
- Chicken Broth -- any type of chicken broth or stock can be used.
- Shredded Chicken -- this can be poached shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken.
- White Beans -- this recipe calls for canned white beans.
- Salsa Verde -- also known as "green salsa." This salsa is made with tomatillos instead of red tomatoes.
- Cream Cheese -- this adds rich creaminess to this white chicken chili. May use heavy cream instead of cream cheese.
- Cheese -- you can use cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, monterey jack cheese, etc.
- Fresh Cilantro -- this adds the perfect amount of freshness to the chili and should be added right before serving.
Creamy White Chicken Chili Toppings:
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro
- Tortilla Strips
What type of beans to use in White Chicken Chili?
There are many varieties and names of canned white beans. I suggest using the following canned white beans -- Great Northern White Beans, Cannellini White Beans, Navy White Beans, or White Chili Beans. I suggest draining and rinsing the beans before adding them to the white chicken chili.
The White Chili Beans will usually be soaked in a chili sauce with spices.
What type of chicken to use in this White Chicken Chili Recipe?
You can use any type of shredded chicken. If you want to make it extra simple, use shredded rotisserie chicken.
This recipe calls for the chicken to simmer with the other ingredients until cooked through. You can also use poached shredded chicken or shredded chicken cooked in a slow cooker.
Can this White Chicken Chili Recipe be made in a Slow Cooker or Crockpot?
Absolutely! This is the easiest method to make this slow cooker white chicken chili recipe. I suggest adding all of the ingredients except the beans, salsa verde, cheese, and fresh cilantro. These will be added when you shred the chicken and will just be heated up. Adding the beans toward the end of the cooking time will ensure they don't become mushy.
The crockpot white chicken chili will cook for about 6-7 hours on low.
Can I substitute another ingredient for cream cheese?
Yes! You can add heavy cream, half-n-half, or even sour cream. The sour cream will give the soup a little tang and I suggest adding it at the end.
Can I make this White Chicken Chili spicier?
Absolutely! I suggest adding an extra jalapeno for some extra spice. You can also add in some red chili flakes, hot salsa verde, and pepper jack cheese.
Can I make this White Chicken Chili milder?
Yes! You can remove any of the seeds and center membrane from the jalapeno which houses most of the spice. You can also use a milder pepper, such as a poblano pepper, in place of the jalapeno for less spice. This isn't a very spicy soup with the addition of cream cheese.
If you love soups, check out these popular soup recipes...
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Chili
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup
- Creamy Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Creamy Gnocchi Chicken Soup