This Creamy Buffalo Chicken Chili is the perfect twist on a white chicken chili recipe. It is perfectly spiced, creamy, and has the right amount of tang. This will be your new favorite Buffalo white chicken chili recipe!
Since the weather is starting to slightly cool down in Arizona, I am manifesting Fall by making homemade soups. I love to make soups because I can combine protein, carbs, and vegetables and soups make the best leftovers!
This was inspired by my CREAMY BUFFALO CHICKEN SOUP recipe that my family goes crazy for! This Buffalo Chicken Chili adds a little more spice and some beans and fresh herbs and spices. The first time I made this, we were all fighting for dibs on seconds!
I am obsessed with this soup and will be making it weekly in our home!
Every year we have Chili Cook-Offs and I always like to change up my entry. I have won many times with my Classic Beef Chili Recipe but this Creamy Buffalo Chicken Chili has that buffalo sauce to put it over the top! I have a feeling this is going to be a first-place winner this year!
This Buffalo White Chicken Chili pairs well with these amazing GARLIC CHEDDAR BISCUITS.
Buffalo Chicken Soup Ingredients:
- Shredded Chicken -- you can use rotisserie chicken or poached chicken. Just make sure to season the poached chicken with salt and pepper.
- Jalapeno -- for extra spice, leave in the seeds and pith. If you want a milder chili, remove the inner membrane and seeds.
- Buffalo Sauce
- Cream Cheese -- cut the cream cheese into pieces to make it easier to melt into the soup.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese -- you can use medium cheddar, colby jack, or pepper jack cheese.
- White Beans -- these white beans can also be called great northern and cannellini beans.
- Cilantro and Green Onions
See recipe card for quantities.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add butter and chopped onion. Let it cook for about 7-8 minutes to allow the onion to soften. Add the jalapeno and cook for 3-4 minutes longer.
- Add in garlic and cook for only 1 minute longer. Have the chicken broth ready to add so the garlic doesn't burn. Garlic can become bitter.
- Add in chicken broth, salt, pepper, paprika, and wing sauce. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes. Add cream cheese. I suggest adding small chunks of cream cheese so it melts easier.
- If you want a creamier soup, I suggest using an immersion blender. This helps to make it extra creamy. I prefer to do this before adding the beans.
- Add in white beans (make sure to rinse them!) and sharp cheddar cheese. Slice the cheese into chunks to allow for easier melting. Let the cream cheese and cheese melt and become creamy.
- Add in shredded chicken and heat for several minutes. Add in cilantro right before serving.
- Top with sliced green onions, cheddar cheese, and fresh cilantro.
- If you want to use a milder pepper, you can substitute poblano peppers. You can adjust the heat of a jalapeno by removing the seeds and inner membranes and only using the green pepper part.
- You can use your favorite type of cheese. I suggest using medium or sharp cheddar cheese for the flavor. If you want extra spice, I suggest using pepper jack cheese.
- Buffalo Sauce can also be called wing sauce.
- Instead of cream cheese, you can use 1 cup of heavy cream.
- Spicy - for extra spice, drizzle more wing sauce on the top when serving. Add another jalapeno or red chili flakes.
- Toppings -- top with sour cream, green onions, cheddar cheese, cilantro, tortilla strips, and more!
- Kid-friendly - if you want it to be a lot milder, I suggest increasing the cream cheese to 8 ounces.
This Creamy Buffalo Chili can be refrigerated for up to 7-10 days in an air-tight container.
POPULAR SOUP RECIPES:
Award-Winning Chili Recipe
Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Creamy Spinach Artichoke Soup
Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup
Baked Potato Soup with Crispy Bacon