Lemon Sour Cream Pie
Sweet Lemon Sour Cream Pie made with freshly squeezed lemon juice, sugar, eggs, and sour cream to make it rich and creamy. All topped with homemade whipped cream in a buttery, flaky crust.
As a kid, I used to love to go to Marie Callender's and order their famous sour cream lemon pie. It was so creamy with a touch of sweet and tart lemon custard. The sweet lemon and homemade whipped cream hooked me in every time.
I had a sweet tooth from the very beginning! I wanted to recreate that special sour cream lemon pie from Marie Callendar's and this pie just satisfied my craving for it.
This Lemon Sour Cream Pie has the perfect balance of tartness from the fresh lemon juice and the sweetness from the sugar. Many lemon pies smack you across the face with lemon flavor but this pie just gives you a gentle tap. There's no doubt this pie's star ingredient is lemon but when mixed with sour cream, it makes the filling unbelievable creamy and it just melts in your mouth. Trust me on this one!
How do you make a homemade Sweet Lemon Sour Cream Pie?
- It all starts with the CRUST. Any delectable pie needs to start off with a good base. There's a big difference between homemade and the ones you buy in the store. If you can make your own, it has a really great payoff. Find an ALL-BUTTER PIE CRUST RECIPE HERE. I give step-by-step instructions as to how to make your very own homemade pie crust. Since this is a no-bake pie, the crust is pre-baked ahead of time. Once it is baked, set it aside to let it cool to room temperature before adding filling.
- A simple lemon filling is made with freshly squeezed lemon juice, sugar, whole milk, egg yolks, cornstarch, and butter. After it cooks and cools, sour cream is added. Use full-fat sour cream for maximum thickness and creaminess.
- Lemon cream filling needs to chill at least 4 hours to set-up. Once you are ready to serve it, pour the lemon filling into baked pie crust and top with whipped cream.
- Homemade whipped cream made with heavy cream and powdered sugar is spread on the top of the sour cream lemon pie. This adds a touch of sweetness. I used the inexpensive Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus to decorate the sides of the pie.
Pin on Pinterest:
Sweet Lemon Sour Cream Pie
Sweet Lemon Sour Cream Filling:
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 3 large Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 3 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Grated Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 cup Full-Fat Sour Cream
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- Pre-Baked Pie Crust -- https://www.modernhoney.com/butter-flaky-pie-crust/
- Heat oven to 410 degrees. Place pie dough in a pie pan and crimp the edges. Let chill for 20 minutes before baking. Place foil or parchment paper on top of pie dough and press to edges. Fill with pie weights, rice, or beans. Bake for 12-16 minutes or until crust begins to be a light golden color. Remove weights and continue to cook for minutes longer. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together sugar, whole milk, egg yolks, lemon juice, cornstarch and lemon zest in a heavy saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring until mixture becomes thick, about 7 -10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Cool to room temperature. May place in refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes. When filling is cool, stir in sour cream.
- Refrigerate filling for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Pour chilled lemon cream filling into baked pie crust.
- In large mixing bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and continue whipping until combined.
- Spread over filling and garnish with whipped cream and lemon peel strips, if desired.
- Serve chilled.
- ***Adapted from Pillsbury Sour Cream Lemon Pie Recipe
Click the links below for more pie recipes:
Caramel Apple Pie
White Chocolate Macadamia Chocolate Ganache Pie
Double Chocolate Marble Pie
The BEST Pumpkin Pie
Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
Sweet Cherry Pie
Traditional Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Caramel Banana Cream Pie
Happy Baking, my friends! xo