This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Old-fashioned pecan pie with a brown sugar filling in a buttery pie crust with fresh whipped cream
Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie and pecan pie are like Christmas without the tree. It just goes together like pb+ j. Well, at least in our family. Pecan Pie just shouts from the rooftops, “its the holidays!”
An Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie makes the pecans the star of the show and the filling a close second. So what makes a pecan pie filling so special? It starts with cooking the butter, brown sugar, and light corn syrup on a stove for several minutes until it is super smooth.
Once it slightly cools, the eggs and vanilla are added which give it a creamy richness. Then here come the pecans! They add the crunchy goodness to the pie to offset the brown sugar sweetness.
This Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie Recipe is beyond easy. It literally takes no time at all to put together and is basically foolproof. It pairs perfectly will a homemade all-butter pie crust. Click here for the butter pie crust recipe.
To make the filling, start by melting butter in a saucepan. Add brown sugar and corn syrup and whisk until smooth. Let cook for 5 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and silky smooth. Remove from heat and chill until it reaches room temperature — about 15 minutes.
Check to see if it is cooled down enough to add the eggs. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Whisk until the mixture is glossy. Stir in pecan halves. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake until filling is set and edges are lightly golden brown.
This recipe makes enough filling for a traditional pie pan. If you are using a deep-dish pie pan, I would suggest to 1 1/2 times the recipe to have enough filling to fill the pan. I also swear by a pie shield to keep the pie crust from becoming too brown.
Homemade whipped cream is a must to pair with the old-fashioned pumpkin pie. It is so simple to make and can transform a pie. Say no to Cool Whip. Just do it. Homemade whipped cream is made with only two ingredients — heavy cream and powdered sugar. You can add vanilla if you fancy it but it is perfection on its own.
If you are making this in a deep dish or larger pie pan, I would suggest to 1 1/2 times the recipe to ensure there is enough filling.
Pin this now to find it laterPin It
Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
Pecan Pie Filling:
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Light Karo Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla
- 3 Eggs
- 2 cups Pecan Halves
For a Deep Dish Pie Plate:
- 9 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Light Karo Syrup
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 3 cups Pecan Halves
- All-Butter Pie Crust --
Homemade Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla optional
- Notes: This recipe makes enough filling for a traditional pie pan. If you are using a deep-dish pie pan I suggest to 1 1/2 times the recipe.
- Make pie crust according to directions -- https://www.modernhoney.com/butter-flaky-pie-crust/
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add brown sugar and light Karo syrup. Cook for 5 minutes or until silky smooth and glossy.
- Remove from heat and chill for 15 minutes or until it cools to room temperature.
- Add vanilla and eggs and whisk well to combine.
- Stir in pecan halves.
- Pour into prepared pie shell. Put on baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 - 55 minutes or until filling is cooked and pie crust is lightly golden brown. Check halfway through cooking time and add pie shield or foil to cover pie crust to prevent too much browning. If you are using a deep dish pie pan, you may need to cook it 5 minutes longer.
- Let it come to room temperature to set-up. This can be refrigerated to chill and firm up. Serve with fresh whipped cream.
- In a mixing bowl, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Click the links below for more pie recipes:
Caramel Apple Pie
White Chocolate Macadamia Chocolate Ganache Pie
Double Chocolate Marble Pie
The BEST Pumpkin Pie
Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie
Sweet Cherry Pie
Traditional Perfect Pumpkin Pie
Caramel Banana Cream Pie
PIN later for PINTEREST. Find all of Modern Honey’s Thanksgiving Recipes in one place — www.modernhoney.com/thanksgiving. Check back as new recipes are added daily!
I hope you love this Old-Fashioned Pecan Pie! Happy Baking, my friends! xo Find more Thanksgiving recipes here at Modern Honey’s Thanksgiving. More recipes added every single day!