Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Streusel
A classic Thanksgiving side dish with savory and creamy sweet potatoes topped with toasted marshmallows and brown sugar streusel
Our Thanksgiving dinners are ridiculously huge. We don't have just one sweet potato casserole, we have at least two different kinds. We don't have just two pies, we have twenty. We also have several kinds of stuffing, green beans, and all sorts of vegetables, too. It is the meal I look forward to all year long!
Since a Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows is a classic, I wanted to put a little twist on it. These Marshmallow Sweet Potatoes are sinfully good and you will definitely forget you are eating a vegetable!
This sweet potato casserole starts with cooked sweet potatoes, whipped until creamy, with butter, brown sugar, vanilla, real maple syrup, egg, milk, and cinnamon. It sounds amazing already! Then, it is topped with a brown sugar streusel made with butter, brown sugar, and flour. It is baked until warmed and bubbly. Then, the marshmallows are added just in time to get nice and toasted. Your people will definitely reach for seconds!
How to make a Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows:
- Bake the sweet potatoes until tender -- about 45 minutes at 400 degrees. They need to be fork tender all the way through the middle. They may need to cook up to 1 hour or so depending on how large the sweet potatoes are.
- Make the Sweet Potato Souffle Filling. Scoop out the inside of the cooked sweet potato and place in a mixing bowl. Add the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, real maple syrup, egg, milk, and cinnamon and whip until smooth and creamy.
- Make a Brown Sugar Streusel. This is such a simple streusel made with butter, brown sugar, and flour, which keeps the streusel together once it hits the hot oven.
- Once it is baked and bubbly, sprinkle on the mini marshmallows and bake until it is nice and toasted.
- This recipe fills a 9 x 9 baking dish. If you would like to fill a 9 x 13 pan, you can 1 ½ times the recipe or even double it.
If you are looking for more amazing Thanksgiving Recipes, click the recipes below:
- The Best Award-Winning Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Caramel Apple Pie
- The Best Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Sweet Potato Brown Sugar Pecan Bake
- Gulliver's Creamed Corn
- Cranberry Apple Sausage Stuffing
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- Honey Butter Glazed Carrots
- Green Beans with Almonds
- All Butter Flaky Pie Crust Recipe
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole
- Perfect Mashed Potatoes
I hope you love this Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows recipe and have a wonderful Thanksgiving! To find all of my Thanksgiving recipes, go to www.modernhoney.com/Thanksgiving